**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXb - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I haven't checked, but from what I recall, the maple leaf was used by all Spitfire squadrons in the 'Canadian Wing' - those squadrons made up from Canadian units or predominantly Canadian personnel in RAF units. The leaf was normally only displayed on the port side, as was usual for 'nose art', or badges in general in RAF and Commonwealth squadrons. However, if there is evidence of a particular aircraft having it on both sides, then it is likely that would be standard practice in that squadron.

mk9-keltie.jpg

jejen398.jpg

402sqdn-spitfire9-aen.jpg

Women-1LG.jpg

She stands. Had a heck of a time with the upper roundels to mold around a 2x1mm protrusion. Many baths of Micro Set/Sol and Mr Mark Set/Sol. Finally I used a very hot cloth and firmly but gently pressed down on the decal. Weathering and sticky outy things next.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Geo

Very nice Geo. I ran into trouble with the roundels settling over those protrusions on my first two Spit builds. I finally got smart on my later ones and cut a slit in the decal and painted the area not covered by the decal.

Thanks Andy. I thought about doing that but I don't have a match for the red of the roundel. I think Humbrol had a match but I don't trust their paints any more.

Geo

Thank you kindly gents. In another thread, a member asked if anyone else lost parts during a build. The bottom one is the ICM part I copied off of. A work in progress and I'm not gonna mention the pitot tube. :(

001.JPG

Geo

EDIT: Ignore the above post, Alzheimer's moment.

Last edited:
Oh... Alzheimer is the German who hides different items from us. I know him too. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back