**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXb - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice painting Geo that's going to be a good looking spit.

Years ago, I never washed the model before painting and never had any problems. The last 10 years or so I have noticed more "oil' on the plastic as it comes out of the box. So washing has become a ritual. I wonder if the fairly recent trend of plastic bags on the kits has something to do with it?
Just a thought.

Thanks for the comments. Not much done since last week. Went to P.G. yesterday and brought the little poop factory home. Gloss coated the model last night so will be adding decals tonight. The clear parts were a furlushinger nightmare but a coat of Future straightened them out. Photos at midnight.

Geo

Quick question(s). The wing walk line that runs the length of the wing, over or under the roundel? Given that the aircraft has been in service for about 7 months, would there be many stencils left? Were there any stencils that would be kept intact no matter how long the aircraft was in use? Thanks in advance.

Geo

These lines went under the roundels. As far as stencils are concerned.. if the plane was repainted becuase of damages and repaired by a maintenance crew , stencils could have been overpainted. If she wasn't these stencils were still there.

Last edited:
Thanks Wojtek. Main decals are on the left side and drying. I'm not sure about the upper wing roundels. They seem a tad large, encroaching on the ailerons. Both sets are the same size and are all I have, C'est le vie. Still debating on which stencils to use and looking for 7 month old spitfires for weathering ideas.

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Geo

Many thanks gentlemen. A final question. The decal sheet gives me two red maple leaf on white disc decals but only shows the port side on the instructions. Most photos of Canadian spitfires I have found only shoe the port side and the ones that show the starboard side, show no maple leaf. Having said that, I found one photo of a 402sqn. aircraft with a maple leaf on the starboard. The question, was the maple leaf only used occasionally?

003.JPG

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back