**** DONE: 1/48 Vought F-8E Crusader VF-211 "Checkmates" - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just how much of that "engine" is going to be seen ? Shame if you cover all the hard work up.... Impressive !

Charles
Good point. So good, in fact, I went to check on that very thing.
Turns out, the current level of detail is good. Still have the wing lift mechanism to make, but, all in all, it's good. I've got some wire and crap to add to the wheel wells, and I found that I will have to drop the flaps because the variable incidence wing doesn't sit right in the "up" position.
So it will be a new round of cutting for me. But that is after dinner.
Dinner is chicken taco bake.

Yeah, sometimes my wife will ask me why I put detail into things that only I will see.
The answer, is that it makes me happy.
And now I got you guys to show it to also.
The flaps, as molded, would not let the wing sit in the correct position, so off they came.
The wing fold innards look pretty good, with only a couple of wires necessary, so they will be up also.
Thanks for looking!

f816.jpg

My wife asks the same thing............. they... just... don't... understand us !
We are a weird lot eh!

I'll drink to that !

As a life-long balsa/tissue builder I cannot understand the lengths you guys go through for accuracy. I remember Wojtek's FW-190... the fuselage was a whole mm too short ! So he made it 1 mm longer. Almost all my balsa builds are OOB. If the designers wanted lots of cockpit detail, they would have made provisions for it in the plans. All that detail is just not my thing....

Charles

What do you use to cut them off with, Paul ? Wojtek uses a thin needle, and explained how it's done, to me. I used a sharp #11 x-acto blade. What's your preferred method ?

Charles

Ya know, Bill, I'm glad you asked.
This is a prime example of my modeling technique. I was going to do this one OOB. (except for a couple of wires and bits of stuff i might find on the desk) Then I thought about the variable wing and the bay under it,and how cool that would look, so I built that, THEN I found out that the flaps and slots deploy when the wing is up, so it was more cutting.
Marking the flaps would imply some sort of plan or organization on my part. I pretty much make it up as I go along...I just hope I don't notice anything else.
Charles, I have an X-acto razor saw blade that I use a lot, but the #1 is the #11.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back