**** DONE: Bf 109 E-4 Helmut Wick JG 2 Oct 1940 BoB group build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice looking one Karl! Have you figured out how you're doing that finely mottled camo? That would have me stumped!

like i said i've a plan that i'm goung to try on thursday(my next day off) will let you all know if it works.
gonna keep you all in suspence for now though just for the fun of it :lol:

Last edited:
Karl, I have found two pics of the Bf109E-4 Werk Nr. 5344. Both in book of Osprey Aircraft of Aces series.
The first one shows Wick's bird in late summer of 1940 when he was the Staffelkapitan of 3./JG2.The Messer is numbered with Yellow 2.Notice there is a lack of the additional external bullet-proof windshield.
In the second shot it is the same plane but in October of 1940. Hope these can come in handy.

Attachments

• wick bird1a.jpg
    wick bird1a.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 140
  • wick bird1.jpg
    wick bird1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 132
Yes I see. There is another one pic of the Bf109E with its state on 28th November of 1940. Wick was the JG2 Commander at the time. His kite wore a different set of badges.

Actually, that cammo should be eaasier to do than a normal mottle, as the real one was applied by either a sponge, or dabbed with a brush. Therefore, there aren't the soft edges associated with a sprayed, larger mottle. Just takes time, whether with a shortened small brush, dabbing as per full scale, or a cotton bud.

Ah Ha ! I've sussed your cunning plan! You're going to flick the paint across the room off the end of a swizzle stick - but Anne Marie got in the way, and now has a spotty complexion eh ?!!

you lot are sooooooo funny it hurts :lol:
all work is now off for about three weeks as i dont have a day off for 9 days then i'm off on holiday to Lanzarote !!!!!
but what i'm planning on doing is using a washing up sponge to dab on the stippled paint, i've had a small trial and it looks like it will work, but want to try it using the paints and colours i'm using on the model itself

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back