**** DONE: Bf109E4 'White 6' I/JG3 BoB Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Chris.
No pics yet I'm afraid - been too busy looking for a new (old) car as a run-about. The weather here is already getting like winter, and without transport, when it gets bad, I'll be stuck. So, needs must as they say. More pics just as soon as I can.

Heck! It's been two weeks, and I haven't done any modelling ! Seems that the car hunt, and other things, have eaten-up a lot of time. However, now that I'm more or less sorted out, I hope to get some more done on the '109 tonight and tomorrow, and get it to the painting stage. I'll post some pics very soon.

Know what you mean Terry. Lately I'm lucky if I can sneak in a half hour every other night. I'm starting to get worried about finishing any of my group builds let alone all of them!

Er .... some numpty forgot to re-charge both sets of camera batteries!!
I got a bit done to the '109, with the gunsight completed, the grab-handles added to the windscreen and this masked, and the UV lamps made and fitted. I'll post some pics asap - honest!

OK, some pics. There's a lot of cleaning-up to be done still, as I found this last session very awkward and time consuming, due mainly to my hands and wrists being extremely stiff.
PICS 1 and 2. Show the modified gunsight, with the projector lens drilled, painted, and glazed with PVA and Future. The reflector screen and sun filter were made from scraps of clear sheet, with the filter given a coat of green acrylic mixed with Future, and the power lead is a piece of stretched sprue. Also visible here are the UV cockpit lamps on each side wall, made from short lengths of plastic rod.
PIC 3. The windscreen in place, with the grab handles added from thin plastic rod. The internal frames were painted, and the outside masked and the frames also painted in the internal colour, just in case. Note that the gunsight was slightly disturbed when fitting the windscreen, and this will be re-aligned once the screen has set and the edges sanded and blended.
PIC 4. The windscreen and rear glazing in place, with the saddle cowling loosely attached to aid alignment of the screen. Also visible are the fuel filler cover, engraved on top of the fuselage, and a hole for the antenna lead-in insulator pot, further to the rear.
PIC 5. The supercharger intake was filed down and new vanes added from stretched sprue. Once fully set, these will be trimmed and the edges tidied up. Not shown are the holes and slots for the rudder actuator cables, drilled and filed into the lower rear fuselage.
Next step is to complete the sanding of the control surface ribs, and then fit the ailerons and elevators, before masking and priming the model, ready for the first painting stage. The model will be given at least two coats of primer, in order to reduce some of the heavy panel lines and access hatch engravings.
Thanks again for your interest and kind comments, and I'll post another update soon.

Attachments

• BoB Build 2 153.jpg
    BoB Build 2 153.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 84
  • BoB Build 2 154.jpg
    BoB Build 2 154.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 81
  • BoB Build 2 158.jpg
    BoB Build 2 158.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 84
  • BoB Build 2 162.jpg
    BoB Build 2 162.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 84
  • BoB Build 2 165.jpg
    BoB Build 2 165.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 79
Thanks very much Glenn, glad you like it. I'd thought of trying a resin and PE cockpit kit, using part here and part on the Hasegawa kit, but couldn't break the habit of a lifetime - why add someone else's work, when it can easily be scratch-built?!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back