**** DONE: Bf109E4 'White 6' I/JG3 BoB Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great progress Terry. My first thought on the colours was it looks more like 74/75/76 but as you pointed out the lighting makes it look a little off. I found the beige background, when I used it, also made the colours go a little off. I'd love to see it in real life, maybe I'll swing by tomorrow with a bottle of single malt!:lol:

Looks great Terry, damn good colour shading if you ask me, as for the offer of a drop of single malt from Andy...............Can you swing by here as well mate...........

Thanks very much guys. It's about time I changed my background paper - it's supposed to be white, but it's yellowed a bit ...OK, a lot!
I've got the glasses polished and ready Andy ... hand-cut crystal, of course!

Thank you my friend! I've just finished spraying the mottle, and the white wing tips. I'll post some pics a bit later, when it's dry enough to handle and move.

About an hour - I need to dash out to Tesco's first ! (Dash? Ok, a fast hobble to the car, and then drive!)

Thanks H !
Sorry Glenn, a stupid, dithery woman was in front of me at the check-out, b*ggering about with loose change etc !
So, a few minutes later than advertised, here's the pics of the mottling and white areas. The RLM 02 still looks very grey in the pics, but I can assure you it's the correct hue. I've noticed that one of my tungsten halogen desk lamps is pulsing, so this has no doubt affected the colour balance slightly.
Anyway, after careful study of the rather grainy photos of Schnabel's belly-landed kite, it appears that the light mottle, in a streaky, partly criss-crossed pattern, was either sprayed around the fuselage balkenkreuz, or the cross was masked, and the same with the swastikas on the fin. The area under the 'White 6' however, has mottle, which suggests that the number was possibly painted on after the mottle was applied.
Consequently, I applied some rough, cross-shaped masks to the fuselage, using Tamiya tape, and a square of masking tape to the each side of the fin, then very lightly marked the recognisable shapes and positions of the mottle pattern in pencil, using a thin stroke for each 'blotch', to the approximate size and shape, not something I normally do. The mottle was then sprayed free-hand.
The primed areas of the wing tips were masked inboard, and sprayed in Humbrol Matt White enamel, building up thin coats, but not too perfect, as I wanted to replicate the appearance of the distemper-type paint used for these I.D. markings.
Next step is to do some very light panel line work where appropriate, mainly around access hatches and control surfaces, and the first stages of weathering, before giving the model a gloss clear coat. I'm going to revert to gloss enamel varnish for this one, as I want a perfectly smooth, gloss surface for the home made decals, some of which will be very feint, and will need filling-in with acrylic paint afterwards.
Thanks again for our interest and support, and more soon.

Attachments

• BoB Build 2 196.jpg
    BoB Build 2 196.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 73
  • BoB Build 2 198.jpg
    BoB Build 2 198.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 78
  • BoB Build 2 199.jpg
    BoB Build 2 199.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 77
Thank you very much my friend, glad you like it! I have to admit, this was one of the few mottle patterns I've ever had concerns about, as I envisaged some tricky areas, and a lot of time being spent. But it went smoothly and without any problems - apart from one single 'blotch', where my finger froze on the trigger! But this was easily corrected with a brush dampened with thinners.

Yep, all Humbrol enamels. Thankfully, this particular batch performed without problems, as some of their paints have been terrible lately. I'm trying to get my local shop to stock White Ensign paints, as I believe they re very good, like Humbrol used to be.
Back later - going to do a bit on the Hurricane, while I'm in the mood !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back