**** DONE: F7U-3M Cutlass USN VX-4 'Evaluators' circa 1955 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tonyb

Senior Airman
Apr 13, 2010
Melbourne
User name: tonyb
Name: Tony
Category: 3-Beginner
Kit: Kitech Vought F7U-3M Cutlass
Scale: 1/48
Accessories:bit of scratch building in the cockpit

Here is my 2nd entry in this GB.Like the Mig in my other entry it is a cheap and cheerful kit by Kitech so more hard work to do to achieve a good result.

p1080254k.jpg

The Cutlass was a strange looking bird and wasn't a particularly successful one either (slight understatement) but it was certainly 'different' and I like different.
Kit looks better than the Mig one,at least it doesn't have that horrible dark green plastic

p1080255.jpg

p1080256y.jpg

p1080257.jpg

p1080258.jpg

p1080259.jpg

There is a choice of 2 versions -
1) F7U-3M VX-4 'Evaluators' Test and Evaluation Squadron
2) F7U-3 VC-3 Composite Squadron
I am going to make the formerwhich had the Aim-7 Sparrow air to air missile.
If anyone has any colour pics of the cockpit of one of these babies,I would be very grateful.I won't be starting this build for a little while so there is no rush.
Cheers,
Tony.

Correct Glenn,it is a Hobbycraft knock-off.
It doesn't state anywhere what dates these 2 variants actually flew so I did a bit of googling and discovered that the Aim-7 was used on the Cutlass from 1956 so as the VX-4 was a testing squadron I figured 1955 would be about right.
If anyone has any more info on this bird,I'm all ears!:)
Cheers,
Tony.

Nice one Tony! I think I have an article in a magazine on the Cutlass somewhere. Don't know if it's got cockpit pics, but I'll see what I can dig out. Might take some time though!

One of the Navy's disastrous aircraft (Well from what I heard it was involved in a few accidents), should be an interesting build! Great choice! :thumbleft:

One of the Navy's disastrous aircraft (Well from what I heard it was involved in a few accidents), should be an interesting build! Great choice! :thumbleft:
Responsible for the deaths of 21 pilots apparently!:shock:
Inovative design but didn't have the necessary powerplant to cope.
Cheers,
Tony.

Well (correction) the most disastrous!

Nice one Tony! I think I have an article in a magazine on the Cutlass somewhere. Don't know if it's got cockpit pics, but I'll see what I can dig out. Might take some time though!

I remember Flight Journal having an article on the Cutlass in one of their issues, calling it the worst USN aircraft ever.

Well,I finally made a start on this,my 2nd entry in the GB.It's not much of a start but at least it's something!:lol:
Sorted all the parts I need for the first part of the build and primed them all -

p1080316n.jpg

Here are the paints I will be using for the main body -
Insignia White and Light Ghost Grey -

p1080317e.jpg

For the cockpit,I will be using Matt Black and Dark Gull Grey.
I'm still thinking of ordering a vacuform canopy as everyone here says they are better than the kit ones.Excuse my ignorance but what is the go with these?What makes them better? Do they come assembled?
Cheers,
Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back