**** DONE: F7U-3M Cutlass USN VX-4 'Evaluators' circa 1955

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And we're off! Nice start Tony.
Vacform canopies: are normally clearer and thinner than kit canopies, and are used where a better appearance is required, or the kit part is inaccurate. In general, they are a one-piece canopy, which has to be carefully cut from the moulding sheet. If the canopy is to be posed open, then it will need to be separated before removing from the sheet, although some are provided as two parts (normally indicated in the description).

Thanks guys,I've been looking forward to starting this one.
Thanks for the info Terry,I'll see how the kit canopy goes and if I'm not happy with it,I'll have a go at the vacuform one.
The parts are held down with blu-tack Vic :lol:
Done some more painting today,I'll post some pics when I have enough to show.
Cheers,
Tony.

Here is the cockpit as it currently stands.Please excuse the rubbish photography.

p1080332.jpg

The kit ejector seat and the canopy are rubbish so I am hoping to order aftermarket parts which will slow down this build unfortunately.The kit seat is too chunky and looks nothing like the real thing and the canopy only fits when fully closed which is no good as I want to display it open.
Remind me not to be such a tight arse and not buy such a cheap kit for the next GB!:lol:
I'm also having 2nd thoughts about the 'Insignia White' as it doesn't appear to be very white!:shock:maybe I should just use a nice glossy satin white instead?
Cheers,
Tony.

I found out that to get an aftermarket seat I would have to buy an entire Cutlass conversion set and I baulked at the $80 asking price..:shock:
I,therefore decided to attempt an improvement on the kit seat and have been a busy bee today -

p1080335.jpg

2 levers at the front of the seat are painted flywire which has been wrapped around a toothpick to get the size and shape.
I scratch-built the harness from masking tape and the buckles were made from the foil found in the packaging of a paracetemol packet.
Wiring up the sides and back of the seat is painted flywire.

p1080337.jpg

p1080339l.jpg

I will still order the vacuform canopy and have a play with that.8)
Cheers,
Tony.

Well,I finally got off my butt and got me some lead weights to stuff into the nose area of the cutlass.Then I could actually attach this to the main body.
Here is the old bird as she currently stands -

p1080374u.jpg

p1080375.jpg

p1080376.jpg

Joining the 2 pieces wasn't easy and I will need to do some filling and sanding to make it right particularly on the bottom.
I also painted the AIM-7 Sparrows in their distinctive orange and black.

p1080378v.jpg

I'll leave this all to set overnight and attach the vertical fins tomorrow.
This plane is a lot bigger than the Mig 17 that's for sure!
Cheers,
Tony.

Thanks guys,
The finished missiles will look very different and only the fins will be orange.The rest will be black with a silver tip.
These are based on the original test version of the Aim-7 designated the AAM-N-2 otherwise known as the AIM-7A.
I have seen a couple of modellers paint these mainly orange but the mainly black scheme is more accurate imho.
I'll have these done in a day or so hopefully so u'll be able to see what I mean.
Cheers,
Tony.

Thanks guys,
The finished missiles will look very different and only the fins will be orange.The rest will be black with a silver tip.
These are based on the original test version of the Aim-7 designated the AAM-N-2 otherwise known as the AIM-7A.
I have seen a couple of modellers paint these mainly orange but the mainly black scheme is more accurate imho.
I'll have these done in a day or so hopefully so u'll be able to see what I mean.
Cheers,
Tony.

Here's a pic that might help:

Attachments

• aim-7a.jpg
    aim-7a.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 91

Users who are viewing this thread

Back