DONE: Finished Kittyhawk IV -Curtiss P-40N RAAF 76 Sqn G-SV A29-1140 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi

I have made progress on the cockpit and some of the smaller detail items, and spend several hours pouring over photos, books and operational records of 76 squadron. I'' make an update on my research soon, but in the meantime here are a few photos of progress thus far.

Cheers

Ozhawk

Attachments

• cockpit tub parts finished - resized.jpg
    cockpit tub parts finished - resized.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 149
  • cocpit tub semi complete - resized.jpg
    cocpit tub semi complete - resized.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 143
  • cockpit tub complete 1 resized.jpg
    cockpit tub complete 1 resized.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 146
  • exhausts - resized.jpg
    exhausts - resized.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 154
Some nice effects so far! I esp. like the IP and the overall weathering,I tried the same on the KI48 last night no were near your success Sir.Keep it coming.Cheers Kevin

Thanks guys

I've used the Hasegawa supplied decal for the instrument panel which looks good, but is a little "busy" in terms of detail. I think next time with this model I would try dry brush, as the moulded detail would probably come up well.

Hasegawa provide a choice of dash, depending on the model depicted. The early version P-40N's deleted the vacuum driven gyro instruments to save weight, but they also hampered the ability for pilots to navigate across distance and poor weather conditions. No artificial Horizon, no directional gyro. So they put them back in the later versions.

I came across a good reference published in "Curtiss P-40" an MBI publication, page 47. I've attached a copy for those considering building this great model.

I also added some Eduard US seat belts. It's hard to go past these for detail, and they were pre-painted. I know, I know it's a bit of a cop out, but they do look good!

With the exhausts, this is the first time I have tried with this particular method. Strangely they look even better than in the picture, with the detail looking more subdued.

I'll share my process - this is how.

1) One coat matt black
2) One coat Model Master "Burnt Iron"
3) Dry brush lightly with Tamiya XF-64 "Red Brown"
4) Detail areas with Tamiya XF-57 "Buff".

Cheers

Ozhawk

Attachments

• instrument layout drawing p-40N series.jpg
    instrument layout drawing p-40N series.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 145
Great stuff Peter. the Instrument Panel drawings are very useful, as I might throw in a P40 for the MTO build.

The fabric detail on these kits are a bit (well okay, a lot) exaggerated on the ailerons, rudder and stabilizers. Since this model, the -40, had metal ailerons the detail needs to be removed. I'll do similar for the other control surfaces, but less.

Cheers

Ozhawk40

Attachments

• alieron detail - resize.jpg
    alieron detail - resize.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 126
The fabric detail on these kits are a bit (well okay, a lot) exaggerated on the ailerons, rudder and stabilizers. Since this model, the -40, had metal ailerons the detail needs to be removed. I'll do similar for the other control surfaces, but less.

Cheers

Ozhawk40

Sounds like a lots of extra work, to me. Is it worth it ?

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back