**** DONE: Fw190A-5 USAAF 325FG - Captured / Aircraft in Foreign Service GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Careful Bill, that's the Flug Werke modern-build '190, which ditched off the French coast last year. The canopy is not quite exactly the same as the original '190, which was hinged in the centre of the perspex, to allow it to flex when opened.
I'll dig out some pics or drawings for you.
EDIT: Here you go, both from 'Aero Detail - FW190 A-F'.
These might help a bit.

Attachments

• FW190 canopy 1.pdf
    288.8 KB · Views: 85
  • FW190 canopy 2.pdf
    672.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Well, that clears it up. It looked underwater but the markings are pristine so looks recent. I didn't realize the Flugwerk rig ditched at sea.

Okay, now I am realllly confused.
In the pdf's it appears the armour plate is attached to the seat back???????? And, the canopy is cracked open.
If it is attached to the canopy in these diagrams, it will be in the same "airspace" as the pilots head when closed? Yes?
Is this the case of the A-4?

In the ditched picture it is attached to the canopy!

What am I doing for this A-4(+)?

Bill the armoured headrest is definitely bolted to the inside edge of the canopy railing and slides back away from the seat when opened and sit just behind the pilots seat when closed.

My A-1 canopy from the Fw190 GB....while my headrest is slightly different to the A-4/A-5 position is still the same.

Attachments

• head Rest  canopy fit_6479.jpg
    head Rest canopy fit_6479.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 7_Side View_6587.jpg
    7_Side View_6587.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Thanks for that again Wayne.
I take it then there is a strip across the bottom of the back end of the canopy that the two rods, on yours, would have been attached to? So I will approach it this way.

Been cleaning up all the parts to the landing gear to take my mind off the canopy! Now I can paint all the light gray parts, gear, gear wells and such and then attack that canopy.

I sailor on.

That's a great image David! as you can see Bill your version had a single flat frame section attached behind the headrest, directly back to the centre rear canopy section, while mine had the 2 rod supports which attached at the sides of the rear canopy.

Vic, don't think for a minute I Don;t know how lucky I am. We have a great resource of information in this forum.

Today is a painting day. Set the gear legs in place and attached the actuator to the leg, rather than wait till it's painted. Thinned the little thingies on the gear legs. Thinned the cowl at the exhausts, just to make it look a little more to scale.painted the inside of the cowling. Painted the legs and parts as well as the tail wheel. Masked off the bottom of the wing to do the wells.

I used some mask from the sign shop. It comes in a meter wide roll, self adhesive and very easy to cut. Risky to use as a mask for acrylics tho, it's meant to be used with lacquers, but go easy on it and it's okay. Go see someone in your local sign shop for some scraps.

The reason I used the mask on the wing? Gonna use gloss for the color coats, didn't want the flat underneath.

Attachments

• 7a assm b4 paint.jpg
    7a assm b4 paint.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 7b thinning.jpg
    7b thinning.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 7c cowls paintd.jpg
    7c cowls paintd.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 7d paint tree.jpg
    7d paint tree.jpg