**** DONE: Fw190A-5 USAAF 325FG - Captured / Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes Vic, then is a handy bi-product.

Used them again this evening. Sprayed the Silver Leaf undercoat, just wish I had done the gear legs, oh well. Painted the rear wheel, and mains as well. Also got all the extras in and finished painting the cockpit.

In order to get the cowl to fit at the wing fairings I had to put a shim in the bottom of the fuselage.

When I can get this bloody thing connected Again I will try and upload the pictures Again!!!!!!!!!!

*Finally got them loaded on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 8a cowl fit.jpg
    8a cowl fit.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 8b spacer.jpg
    8b spacer.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 8c fin c-pit paint.jpg
    8c fin c-pit paint.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 8d undercoat.jpg
    8d undercoat.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I am so over my ISP.... been trying for over a bloody **** hour to get to upload my post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks fellas.......

So this morning before work I got the gray down in the gearbox, then a little brushing with the wire brush to scratch to the silver. Painted a coat of black green on the prop, used a fan brush to "chip" and "scratch" the blades. Covered the ends at the hub to leave silver. Painted semi-gloss black on the "fan" with a fan brush to "chip" it. Sprayed some semi-gloss black on the cylinder part of the engine, then brushed it with the wire brush and used a silver pen on the pushrod tubes and across the fins of the cylinders.

It all looks verrrry used!

I sailor on.
one hour and thirty bloody minutes! gotta find another ISP!

Attachments

• 9a engine - prop.jpg
    9a engine - prop.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 9b engine - prop.jpg
    9b engine - prop.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 69
Now correct me if I am wrong but these aircraft would mostly have been in rear-ward units that were doing training wouldn't they? I mean I know some units used captured tanks, guns and vehicles but aircraft wouldn't have been used in front-line service would they? For a start you would have had to capture them or repair them after they crashed. Therefore it would have been a very expensive exercise and also wouldn't it have been bad for morale and your own troops indicating a lack of trust in your own equipment wouldn't it? I know the Russians did but they were fighting tooth and nail and also capturing some on the ground...

Devo, I think you need to re-read the caption. This was captured, painted these outrageous colors to keep them from getting shot out of the sky by allied pilots and used for evaluation only.

The caption from the news photo in the first post;
Another FW-190 captured in Italy was a plane that was painted by 325 FS. During the was, the unit captured a few Butcherbirds, and the first of these was FW-190 A5 W.Nr unknown. It was flown by 1st Lt. Jack Shafton of 317 FS from Lesinia airbase near Foggia. The plane was immediately grounded by Col. Chester L. Sluder (he was the commander of the unit between 1 April 1944and 11 September 1944) due to worn out tires. After Sluder's departure from command, several pilots tried to start the loot, but during taxiing the canopy fell off and the plane was eventually abandoned.

I guess Glenn I am going a little overboard, maybe a bit more than a little, but the plane did sit on the field for a very long time before it was finally abandoned. I'm learning a lot about "limits" on this build. Thanks for looking in.

Wurger, sorry for the expletive above, meant to use a !.......

Good work Bill, funny you having troubles....I had heaps of the same last night taking ages just getting into any and every thread trying to upload photo's....logged out in frustration! didn't have any troubles anywhere else on the net either??

Good work Bill, funny you having troubles....I had heaps of the same last night taking ages just getting into any and every thread trying to upload photo's....logged out in frustration! didn't have any troubles anywhere else on the net either??

Snap.
You aren't with Optus are you?

..........I guess Glenn I am going a little overboard, maybe a bit more than a little, but the plane did sit on the field for a very long time before it was finally abandoned. I'm learning a lot about "limits" on this build. Thanks for looking in........
I didn't mean it looked like too much Bill, I think it looks just right for an aircraft thats been through what that one had most probably been through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back