**** DONE: GB-36 1:48 Macchi C.205 ( 2 ) - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I believe you are correct sir. I just found out about Giallo Chromo 7 and mine does look closer to RLM 27. Nice of Vallejo to make a good mistake. I'll have to add a bit of red to get 04 methinks

upload_2018-1-23_15-46-1.png

Heading in for night-shifts Wayne so it'll be a bit. For my first attempt I did have to pick an aircraft that is heavily mottled, spinner to boot

upload_2018-1-24_10-7-0.png

Thanks Andy. My plan is to mix up way too much paint. I found in the past when practising that the tan tip and the airbrush turned almost all the way down works very nice with a normal Tamiya 2:1 mix at 20ish PSI. I'll start there and then deviate if need be

FWIW I thin my paint right down and slowly build up the mottle to the desired appearance. It turns out something like this.

IMG_3885 web.jpg

I think if you use a normal paint consistency it ends up looking like unrealistic paint blobs. I realise your mottle scheme is more defined patterns than this "cloudy" scheme sometimes seen on 109s, but the principle is to soften the appearance of the mottle. Good luck!

Mottles are always tricky. I'm like Kirby and like to use a highly thinned mixture that allows me to "build" up each mottle as opposed to trying to get it right with one spurt. A thinner mixture also reduces the grain of the spray. Either way, looking forward to what you come up with!

Sprayed on RLM 76 using Vallejo Model Air 71.046 Pale Blue Grey. They've changed numbers and names over time so I think I have an early version. A quick check on Google shows that the bottle is now 71.257 Light Blue/RLM 76.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

Thanks guys. Straight from the bottle Terry @ 20psi, and no mixing. Right now I'm trying to figure out the Vallejo number for RLM 74 as I think this bottle is older as well. I'm thinking/hoping its 71.054/Dark Grey Blue. Its been sitting for quite a while so plenty of shaking is in progress

The Vallejo Model Air 71258 Grey Green RLM 74

Here you are the set of Vallejo colours with numbers and names ......
  • 71.257 Light Blue RLM76
  • 71.258 Gray Green RLM74
  • 71.259 Gray Violet RLM75
  • 71.255 Light Blue RLM65
  • 71.256 Green RLM73
  • 71.263 Green RLM72
  • 71.264 Brown Violet RLM81
  • 71.265 Olive Green RLM80
  • 71.278 Sand Yellow RLM79

Thanks gents. Sadly, both bottles I have for RLM 74 & 75 aren't close to the colours. I bought these a long time ago so I believe they were from a period when Vallejo got some of their colours wrong as both of these are very dark grey. When things like this go sideways I tend to lose ambition and enthusiasm. I've got a bottle of Pollyscale RLM 74, very old but it looks like its held out well. I'm searching for a Tamiya mix for the 75. I've found three but not sure which or any are correct: this is one of them...XF-24 Dk. Grey, XF-51 Khaki Drab, XF-2 Flat White 1/1/1. Another is XF-24 Dk. Grey, XF-50 Field Blue, XF-2 Ft. White 5/1/2. The third is just two colours, XF-24 Dk. Grey, XF-50 Field Blue 5/1. I don't have XF-50 and very little of the others. I've also found a source that says XF-63 German Grey is a close match for RLM 74, and XF-75 IJN Gray (Kure Arsenal) is a close match for RLM 75. I'll see if I can get motivated enough to work on the other thread..........

You might find that the Pollyscale stuff doesn't spray well. I could never get these to work but it was in my early days of using the brush.

I have found RLM 75 to be a bit of a minefield. It's description is Grauviolet, suggesting that the colour was a grey with a purplish tinge, hence the suggested use of Blue.

The batch that I have made (used on my FW190A-5 build right now) has ben bastardized over a few builds but I'm guessing that it is APPROXIMATELY:

7:XF-24 + 1:XF-9 + 2:XF-2

Wayne uses a very different mix of greys and greens I think whereas mine has that bit of Hull Red in it.

For RLM 74 I use:

3:XF-24 + 2:XF-27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back