**** DONE: GB-55 1/48 Bf109F-4/Trop – MTO III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne - jumping in with coments a bit late, but this build is really of interest since I have the Eduard G-10 profipack, which I suppose is very similar in construction, if not some of the molded parts? I'll be looking for the pitfalls, if any, to avoid. I suppose working with two uninjured thumbs won't be an issue?

Last edited:
"Injuries R Us" - need a broken or bruised thumb ? Call Wayne on Freefone, Aus 290252 for a rapid, no obligation quote !
No don't want to go there :).....three weeks out and its still not right, even though there is no swelling or bruising I can't grip with any strength yet.
Wondering whether I have a hairline crack in there somewhere....

Wayne - jumping in with coments a bit late, but this build is really of interest since I have the Eduard G-10 profipack, which I suppose is very similar in construction, if not some of the molded parts? I'll be looking for the pitfalls, if any, to avoid. I suppose working with two uninjured thumbs won't be an issue?
There are a couple of General Sprues common to all kits with the various other sprues with minor other bits for the different variants and Major Sprues for fuselages and wing combinations.
These Kits certainly have a lot more bits and detail than the often built Hasegawa, which to a certain extent I still like a lot, still good for there age and much simpler to assemble, still great 109 kits.
I've found so far that the parts fit very well but you should always dry fit parts at all stages to ensure that good fit, a bit of extra light sanding on some surfaces and edges here and there just makes things easier.
One thing I did do was carefully sand the front leading edge wing and fuselage edges to ensure a really good Flat surface to surface fit to minimise sanding removing the fine rivet detail. these pics soon!

Not good, have you had it checked out. :D
Thought about it but so far have let it slide.
Was assembling a kids bed for my Granddaughter today and grabbing the frame sections and moving them with my right hand the thumb just didn't want to apply that extra grip to hold it, nor was holding and gripping a screwdriver to do the screws...I got there though...it just reinforced the fact it is still not quite right.

Anyway, have been modelling though...

Cockpit work done and installed in the fuselage, also added the exhausts, the cowl gun troughs and tail wheel too.

25_Cockpit_1406.jpg
26_Cockpit_1405.jpg
27_Cockpit_1408.jpg
28_Cockpit_1411.jpg
29_Fuselage Assembled_1413.jpg
30_Fuselage_1414.jpg
32_Cockpit_1418.jpg

Attachments

• 33_Tail Wheel_1420.jpg
    33_Tail Wheel_1420.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 16
  • 31_Cockpit_1417.jpg
    31_Cockpit_1417.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 16
Just curious? Is this the Weekend edition or the Profipak? I don't see the PE parts like are in my kit and was wondering if you had chosen to not use (as is the option in mine)? Really looks great as is without.

Wayne, one of the photos of the starboard side shows a small intake beside the starter crank hole on the starboard cowl.
32_cockpit_1418-jpg.jpg

This is a typical detail for F-2. For the F-4 this inlet for generator cooling was moved to the inside (to the engine-mounted compressor intake ring). A lack of the small starboard intake always means that it's an F-4. Maybe Eduard is using the same mold for their F-2 and F-4 models? :rolleyes: I don't know (I don't have any of their Fs).
Here is a photo of a brand new F-4 showing the area without the intake:
mKtzAfj.jpg

And here's a F-2:
gbQMKLQ.jpg

Check your sources though. As always there were exceptions - I read somewhere the WNF-production of F-4 kept this intake in the initial batches. I have no proof for this statement and never follow it myself.
Cheers!

Wayne, one of the photos of the starboard side shows a small intake beside the starter crank hole on the starboard cowl.
View attachment 689104
This is a typical detail for F-2. For the F-4 this inlet for generator cooling was moved to the inside (to the engine-mounted compressor intake ring). A lack of the small starboard intake always means that it's an F-4. Maybe Eduard is using the same mold for their F-2 and F-4 models? :rolleyes: I don't know (I don't have any of their Fs).
Here is a photo of a brand new F-4 showing the area without the intake:
View attachment 689105
And here's a F-2:
View attachment 689106
Check your sources though. As always there were exceptions - I read somewhere the WNF-production of F-4 kept this intake in the initial batches. I have no proof for this statement and never follow it myself.
Cheers!
Both F-2 and F-4 kits use the same Starboard fuselage and there is no note in the instructions to remove it, so not sure on the intake.... will look further on that, it's rather easy to remove in any case.
I know of at least one F-4 trop that has it so it could go either way.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back