I've been holding off starting this build until I get my book from Squadron. As of yesterday I still haven't received it. In my preparation for getting started I went to my LHS and picked up some of the RLM paint I will need to complete this build. To my surprise they had the very book I've been waiting for. I thumbed through it and feel confident that I can go ahead and start this bad (_!_) bird without it.
So here it goes fellas, the MTO HS 129 Tank Buster build is underway.
First started off with the fuselage. As I've come to expect from Italeri it has some nice detail as you can see. These pictures were taken under normal lighting without a flash. When I used the flash it washed out the details.
The first thing I wanted to do was open the access panels to the radio compartment and transmitter.
I started by using a pin vise to make holes at the corners and then using a sharp knife I scribed between them. I then used some small files to get them to the proper shape and size. After some Patience I have two respectable openings. They need to be cleaned up a bit with sand paper but so far so good.
I'd like to take a moment to introduce to all you guys over seas to 'Ole Abe Lincoln . He was our 16th President here in the United States. He's going to be joining us for this build to emphasize scale. It seems rather funny to be using an American coin but I don't have anything German ones so as I so often say, "It is what it is"
The next step I needed to do was make some room for the new cockpit that I will be building from PE. As you can see in the pictures the gun wells extend pretty far into the cockpit area. Being in such a tight area I decided to use a course grit sand paper to do this. I could have used the ole Dermal but was afraid I would take off too much to fast and break through the side of the fuselage.
I hope this is enough because the walls are pretty thin now.
Next I broke out the air brush and painted the cockpit walls, the interiors of the wheel wells and landing gear doors. According to the research I've done German aircraft used RLM 66 after 1941. It looks a little dark to me but I'm sure I can lighten it up with some dry brushing.
Instead of waisting paint I gave the wheels, props and engines a coat too.
Tonight I have some clients to go see and have to take the boy to Cub Scouts so I'm not sure if I'll make any progress so till next time...