**** DONE: Kittyhawk Mk III James F. "Eddie" Edwards RCAF - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Terry, Wojtek. I remember, though, that before I do the gloss coat, I need to box out the areas behind the fuselage roundels for the a/c numbers and paint them dark green as it appears this plane and others in 260 Squadron must have had an ETO camo scheme before being repainted for the desert. It appears the Middle Strone was applied over the Dk Green and the Dk Earth areas kept as is. See circled details below and the depiction on the VWOC P-40 of the same scheme.

Attachments

• HS%20B%20in%20Foreground.jpg
    HS%20B%20in%20Foreground.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 113
  • HS%20B.jpg
    HS%20B.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Tail Detail.jpg
    Tail Detail.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 106
Thanks again. On to the green blockouts.....

To locate the correct spot for the block-outs, I first had to lay out a temporary decal placement which I did by simply using representative bits of cut paper. This showed me a small issue which bothered me. If you look at the arrow where the "B" would go, the dark brown colour intersects the B whereas in the photo of the actual aircraft above, the B is just touching the brown at the lower left corner.

110914 1 copy.jpg

I decided to remedy this by masking and adjusting the demarcation as shown below.

110914 2.jpg

With the Middle Stone colour extended accordingly, I masked the forward edge of the blockout using the paper bit as a locator.

110914 3.jpg

From there, I masked the blockouts to a 5mm width using a 4mm letter height as a basis. Dark Green was then sprayed both sides after making sure that sufficient masking was applied to prevent any overspray from marring the finish underneath.

110914 4.jpg

110914 5.jpg

Pealing the tape away revealed the effect I wanted. I had to do a small repair on the port side where I chipped some of the brown at the upper right corner of the green blockout but, overall, it turned out allright.

110914 6.jpg

110914 7.jpg

Now comes the gloss coat and decal application. Thanks once again to everyone for your comments.

Thanks guys.

Bit of a setback unfortunately. After trimming one of the clear side panels, I went to dust it in a cloth and it broke in two with virtually no pressure. It must have got a small crack at the point of attachment to the sprue that propagated at the slightest tweak. It would have been nice if it had at least broken along a frame line. I might have had a fair chance of salvaging it but it's right in the middle of a panel - of course!

E-mail has gone into Hasegawa for a replacement.

Attachments

• 110915 Broken Glass.jpg
    110915 Broken Glass.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 81
That's really interesting the arrangement of the serial in the block and the code letter overlap. And the distance of the "B" to the roundell seems to be odd as well. Great research. Good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back