**** DONE: Kittyhawk Mk III James F. "Eddie" Edwards RCAF - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Before spraying the mid stone, I masked the wing leading edges and demarcation lines with the azure blue. I also masked the windscreen and attached it after installing the gunsight. The mask for the windscreen is from a freebie sheet of Montex masks I got with a Kagero book. Although the fit was awful, I was able to utilize most of it and trimmed it to suit. We'll see how good a job it does once I peel it off.

Here are two overall shots with the mid stone applied. This was straight out of the bottle Pollyscale Middle Stone and, in real life, does not look quite so yellow as in these pictures. Once this has set, I'll mask the areas for the Dark Earth and shoot that on, probably in a day or two. Thanks for your continued interest.

Attachments

• 110911 Mid Stone 1.jpg
    110911 Mid Stone 1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 110911 Mid Stone 2.jpg
    110911 Mid Stone 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 95
Cheers guys. Note that I've painted over the original cockpit green on the panels under the rear cockpit glazing. Based on my view of the photo in Post 1 showing Edwards' plane being unique in this regard and on feedback from Dave in post 21, I decided to go with Middle Stone in this area.

Cheers guys. Note that I've painted over the original cockpit green on the panels under the rear cockpit glazing. Based on my view of the photo in Post 1 showing Edwards' plane being unique in this regard and on feedback from Dave in post 21, I decided to go with Middle Stone in this area.
That's always a questionable area on the P-40 Andy. Many were painted interior green. But I think even more were painted the camo color of the plane. Those glass panels came out so it wasn't hard for a maintenance crew to paint that area. I prefer the look of the camo paint in that area, but that's just personal preference and is what I use if there is no photographic evidence to the contrary.

Thanks guys. Glenn, I think the photo evidence is clear that this particular kite did not have the interior green at least on the starboard side but rather Mid Stone or something similarly light so I'm definitely staying with the Mid Stone.

OK, basic camo is done. After masking to cover the Middle Stone, I sprayed the Dark Earth using a mix of 80% Polyscale Dark Earth acrylic and 20% White. The shots below show the mask just prior to painting and then the reveal. Very minor touch ups will be needed, in particular around the spherical oleo covers at the wing leading edges (which were a royal pain to mask) and the one sliver of Dark Earth that showed up on the lighter colour on the top of the port wing. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how this came out.

After a bit of curing, I'll throw on a gloss coat for the decals. Thanks again for your interest.

Attachments

• 110913 Mask.jpg
    110913 Mask.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 110913 Reveal 1.jpg
    110913 Reveal 1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 110913 Reveal 2.jpg
    110913 Reveal 2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 110913 Reveal 3.jpg
    110913 Reveal 3.jpg