Done : Major Tratt's Me410A-1/U2/R4: Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco, check out Wayne's pastel tutorial. I think you will find some differences in technique. Wonderful to see you're feeling better. Been worried about you.

Lookin' good, buddy!

Attachments

• Panel Lines and Pastels[1]...Part 1.0.pdf
    996.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Panel Lines and Pastels_Part 2_Page 12.pdf
    582.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Panel Lines and Pastels_Part 2_Page 34.pdf
    427.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Panel Lines and Pastels_Part 2_Page 56.pdf
    450.4 KB · Views: 83
Thanks Matt. I nicked those .pdfs but my puter has been acting up and I'm not exacrly able to get to them. I read them and going from memory which can be faulty.

Terry, I have no airbrush so whatever I can get in a Testors can will do. I have a matt coat and a gloss but no semi-gloss. Won't all thos paints build up too much?

Once your paint is on, put a coat of Future (or two) on 'er. Then do your pastels. If you eff up, an eraser is much more kind on a gloss coat than an flat coat.

Depending on the extent of decaling, I sometimes put my decals on before weathering. And then apply another coat of Future to seal them. That way you can weather the model and decals at one time.

Sometimes its a combination of the two methods.

Each has his own methods and sometime they change with the model in question.

Love your siggy.

What Matt has suggested will work well also Chris; just a matter of convenience for the technique being used.
To get a good, thin, final clear coat, without building-up the layers too much, especially without the use of an airbrush, try this method.
Use 'Future' as you would for a gloss clear coat, brushing on and letting it find its own level. But, for a matt finish, or a semi-matt finish, add any matt acrylic varnish, and/or Tamiya Flat Base. It will need a little trial and error/ experimentation to achieve the desired sheen etc, but it works brilliantly, and dries without brush marks, unlike 'normal' acrylic or matt varnishes.
NOTE:- Do not add too much Flat Base to start, ot it will dry with a white deposit. Better to add a bit, check the result, and so on. It doesn't take long, as it dries very quickly, and you'll soon be in business.

Problem Number 452773.9003

I haven't been able to find any Future in the local stores here. Any suggestions?

If you can't get Future, then you can brush on gloss clear coat; but stir well before use.
To make semi-matt for the final coat, add one part gloss to three parts matt clear varnish. You should find that the gloss will dry without much in the way of brush marks. The matt/semi-matt will be OK if you brush it out well, but is more prone to brush marks than gloss. If it's enamel, add a touch of thinners, and it should go on more evenly, and thinner.
Just one thing though, Rochie told me that Future (called 'Klear' in the UK.) has changed it's name to 'Pledge Klear', with the word 'Pledge' being bigger and bolder, and 'Klear' being in smaller text, almost an afterthought. Maybe it's changed it's name in the 'States too?

Yeah, I searched for that too and found something but just wasn't sure. I have Gloss Clear coat in Testors spray - will that work?

That should work fine Chris. When you spray it (rattle can I presume), don't get too close to the model, and spray a light, even coat. Let this dry, and don't worry if it looks a bit 'patchy', where areas might have been missed a little. Start to spray befor hitting the model, and finish after you've gone off the model.
If it needs another coat, do the same again. You should get an even coat, as gloss is much more forgiving than matt - BUT, remember to keep the can a reasonable distance away, to avoid runs or 'sags'.
Make sure you give it plenty of drying time between coats - gloss clear can take a few hours.

No pics as they're not much different from the last I posted.

Tiddied up the base paint with coloring of the exhaust, camo around the engine nacells, and spot-paint other areas. After reading all that I could find on weathering, panel lines and the like, I'm going with a thin gloss coat, then decals and then pencil/wash the panel lines. Gave it that coat tonight and will start with the decals tommorrow.

I won the battle but I lost the war..........

Getting ready for decals when I notice two swirly things on the sheet. What can they be? They're white with a clockwise turn. Hmmmm. They both have a notch for some hole. Thought they were Gruppe markings but.... check the sheet. What is number 18? Look at the profile. No swirly thing. Check the numbers.......its......they're Spinner spirals!!!!! I don't have to paint the spinners!!!! YEAH!!!!

Its a happy day. :)

So checking decals and placement when I notice the diheydral of one tail pieces is out of whack. How can that be? Check again and I notice the rudder seems to be leaning. What? Check and re-check. WHAT!!!??? The whole tail unit is twisted!!! I don't know why I never noticed before but it is clear as day and I can't believe it. Nothing I can do, it must have warped somehow.

So its just a nice model. :(

That frigg'in sucks Chris but if it took you this long to notice is it really that bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back