Schilling's Bf109G6/R4 of 9./Jg54 Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello All,

I have recently started building Hasegawa's 1/32 G-6 and have decided to go with Schilling's "Yellow 1." Basically, I have the cockpit in, the horizontal tail on, the fuselage joined, and the wings on. I'll post a pic or two when my camera batts recharge. I had started a thread about how Schilling's aircraft was configured in regards to the gun housing "bulges" and can't decide on whether or not the additional bulge for the pressurization system was present on the starboard side. I do realize that standard G-6's weren't pressurized.

Anyway, based on the drawings from the Kagero book on page 1 of this build, the extra bulge was NOT present on Schilling's G-6. What I find interesting is that this particular airframe is missing the small fresh air intakes that were present slightly forward and below the windscreen on either side of the canopy based on the pic from the Kagero book and the B&W photo included in the Eagle Cals decal set. Usually, these intake was only absent on pressurized aircraft. So, I guess I will have to file down the intakes on the kit.

I guess that's all. Sorry for the long post. This will be a slow build for me since it's been a while since I built anything (>10 years) and really have no true workspace or proper tools currently. I will be keeping an eye on this thread and look forward to the thoughtful insight. I'm also interested to see how the Airfix 109 turns out.

Adam

Hi adamant,

My Starfix 109 kit doesn't have real good detail, and much like you, I haven't built a model in over 10 years, so this is going to be pretty interesting to see how it turns out.

I haven't worked on my kit recently, because we've been working on a historical recreation (see the thread in the IL-2 Sturmovik pilot's lounge - My New IL-2 Video Research) and it's been taking alot of time. It sure will be worth it though!

There is another G-6 of Schilling's being built in the Group Build (same section as this thread is in) by javlin at the moment, so you can check his out and see how his is going. His is a 1/32 scale Hasegawa and will have far better detail than my 1/48 scale. He is also adding some sweet aftermarket goodies to his.

Yeah, where is Kevin? I think he said he might be away for a week, but it's been sometime. Hope he's OK.
Adam, from what I've discovered, some 109G's were without the small air intake, even if unpressurised. This might have just been the way sections came off the line. The only way to tell for sure is by photo evidence. If the starboard side is not shown, but the cockpit is clearly visible, it might be possible to see the silica gell capsules - just!

I am sooo far behind on this, dang it!

By the time I get some free time to even think about working on this, it's about 11:00 at night...

But I haven't given up on it, actually doing some work on it today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back