**** DONE: P-40E Leningrad Front, USSR 1943 - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nxthanos

Senior Airman
Jun 11, 2011
User Name: Nxthanos
Category: Casual 2 (**)
Entry: P-40E, Maj. P.A. Pokryshev, Leningrad, 1943
Kit: IDEA P-40E 1/48 scale
Accessories: Super Scale 1:48 Sheet # 48-492

The new project is a 1/48 P-40E in russian colors, flown by Major P.A. Pokryshev defending leningrad, 1943. This was his second P-40, replacing a P-40B he had used. This ace scored between 22 and 29 kills depending on sources and had at least 7 kills in a P-40E.

let's look at the kit:
ideaP40.jpg

Someone started to paint the interior zinc cromate, no matter, its very thin and is easily covered.
ideaP401.jpg

ideaP402.jpg

the decal sheet is rather spartan as one would expect a lend lease plane to be.
ideaP403.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

Today's update;

Glued the wings, and had to fill a mold hole in one, and decided to use the sharpie to preshade as this is an old kit with raised panel lines.
day1.jpg

day11.jpg

next the pilot figure is painted.
day12.jpg

the cockpit is spartan on the kit to say the least, so i added an instrument panel.
day13.jpg

day14.jpg

Thanks guys.

Not quite an Otaki kit, a cheap knockoff actually.

Today's update;

The kit supplied exhuast pipes are somewhat of a joke, happily I had spares from my last P-40 that fit perfectly.

day2.jpg

day21.jpg

The wings and fuselage are joined, lots of putty needed on this old girl.
day22.jpg

day23.jpg

There was no air vent over the engine so i made one, and added putty for the top, when it dries I'll sand it smoothe and it should look fine.
day24.jpg

Thanks guys. The old saying goes, you get what you pay for!

Today's update;

Painted the bottom navy gray, and the top RAF Dark green, when all of this dries completly I will begin the camo pattern.

The gray is model master, the green is Vallejo, which is a wonder paiont, it never streaks or causes problems.

day3.jpg

day31.jpg

day33.jpg

day32.jpg

The vent over the engine came out pretty well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back