**** DONE: Revell P-61A 1/48 scale, Nocturnal Nemesis, Night Fighter GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Last night I finished putting together the halves of the opposite nacelle. Did some research into the rivet lines for the tail sections and worked on filling in the minor gaps between the wing and fuselage. Took a couple of photos but will post those tomorrow. The last thing I did was start putting in the rivet lines on the port side nacelle.
That Mid-Atlantic Air Museum website is great for this detail especially since they added the tail section to the Black Widow being restored. I'm hoping to start painting the fuselage this weekend and I was hoping to get some tips. The main colors for this plane is olive drab over light grey but I'm unsure as to the right shade of grey. I was thinking to paint the entire model in light grey giving a light background to the olive drab I'll paint over it. If I remember right this will help when trying to give the olive drab a faded appearance. Any suggestions would be welcome in this. I have acquired a very primitive airbrush and using canned air so I want to get this right the first time... Thanks.

Pictures as promised. Still working on the rivet lines but at least I'm making progress. Will continue with rivet lines today then move on to finishing the wheel well.

What is the best way to fade olive drab? Anybody?

Attachments

• P61A 037.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 104
  • P61A 038.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 107
  • P61A 039.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 106
Looks good Bill. That's a lot of surface area to cover with rivets - a daunting task for me.

As to the olive drab, I would just add a few drops of white or very light gray but others might have different opinions.

Thanks... for the dots I usually just sit down with a picture, my part, a needle, and tape and watch Inspector Morse. Usually have an entire side done by the time the episode ends.

Nice work Bill.
The grey was called 'Neutral Gray', but I can't remember the FS number.
For fading OD, I normally start off with a slightly faded overall coat, using 50% Humbrol No.30 Dark Green (or No.163, the satin version, which has more 'depth'), and 50% No.29 Dark Earth. Panel edges and areas in shade get a mix of Dark green with 25-30% Dark Earth added. The lighter shades are mixed with a tiny touch of white into the green then add yellow and Dark Earth to lighten as required.
Here's a pic of my B26 done this way - and yes, she really was that badly weathered!

Attachments

• models 10 -08 003.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Terry. The grey color on your excellent plane looks a lot like the dark ghost grey I have from testors. I suppose if I can find a swash of this color somewhere I may be able to duplicate it. The green color looks very nice. I may have to play around with what I have to see if I can duplicate it as well. I don't have Humbrol paints in the hobby shops where I live.

An equivalent in, say, Model Master paints would be RAF Dark Green and RAF Dark Earth. In truth, any similar hued green and brown should be satisfactory, as it's the addition of the brown and yellow which alters the tones. A bit of experimentation will soon sort it for you Bill.

Thanks guys... with some research I found that the acceptable FS number for Olive drab 41 is FS 34088. I will follow your suggestions for mixes... Thanks guys.

You going great guns Bill, dare I say 'riveting stuff'. Ok I'll leave but before I go, good luck with the painting and like the guru's say, take your time.

Thanks guys. Over the weekend I finished my rivets on the second nacelle and did more work on the wheel well. Took today off from work to watch over my dog, she's not doing well. Fortunately it gives me more time to work on my plane as I sit with her.

Attachments

• HPIM2817.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 91
  • P61A 038.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 90
A little more done. Cut out the vent and grill area and did an initial coat of paint in the wheel well. Also working on removing the seam lines. slowly...

Attachments

• P61A 039.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread