**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Heinkel He-219 WNr 290123 of 1/NJG 1 Nightfighter GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
Name: Andy
Category 1 Advanced
Model: Heinkel He 219 A-2 (EDIT was previously incorrectly ID'd as an A-7)
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Aftermarket addons: Eduard seat belts

This will be my entry for the nightfighter portion of the Commonwealth/Night Fighter GB. The chosen scheme is shown from the instruction sheet and the perhaps erroneous profile below from Wings Palette which quotes the aircraft to be an A-2 R1. More research needed methinks.

This kit looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to the build but not so much the camo scheme! It will be a challenge

Attachments

• Tamiya Box.jpg
    Tamiya Box.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 562
  • Paint Scheme.jpg
    Paint Scheme.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 555
  • 2_4.jpg
    2_4.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
nice choice Andy, i'm sure you'll turn out another stunner
got a couple of nightfighter books i'll look through and see if i can find anything of relevence

Last edited:
Fascinating choice CR. Earlier this year I got the chance of looking one over at the Smithsonian in Washington. Impressive, to say the least, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Tamiya rendition. 8)

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• 219 008.jpg
    219 008.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 549
  • 219 006.jpg
    219 006.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 538
  • 219 003.jpg
    219 003.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 547
Thanks guys. I came across pictures and a video of the one at the Smithsonian on a Google search. It seems the squiggles were determined to underly the newer coat of paint that the Americans used for test flights of this captured plane after carefullyremoving the layers . I believe the WNr in that one is 290202. The squiggles look cool and would be "fun" to do. Another modeler on the net did one like that for my kit but the Tamiya instructions call for patches. I'll need to research this some more.

Karl, if there's anything in your book on the scehme of this rig, I'd be very interested to hear.

This should be a good one! That cammo shouldn't be as difficult as you think. I'll have a look in my stuff - not sure if I have the colour scheme, but might have some detail shots etc.

right here goes Andy.
first two are from He-219_[Schiffer_Military_History_Luftwaffe_Profile_3]
next two are from Nachtjager_vol._2_-_Luftwaffe_Night_Fighter_Units__1943-1945
the schiffer book has detail pictures of the cowl flaps and cockpit interiorsand undercart etc if you want them ? :lol:
hope it helps mate

Attachments

• 219d.jpg
    219d.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 582
  • 219b.jpg
    219b.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 532
  • 219.jpg
    219.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 571
  • 219c.jpg
    219c.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 618
Here are a few pics I've come across. Hope they help... :)

Attachments

• He219-2s.jpg
    He219-2s.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 640
  • He219-11f.jpg
    He219-11f.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 490
  • He219-14f.jpg
    He219-14f.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 492
  • He219-28f.jpg
    He219-28f.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 485
Thanks guys. I may launch into this after I finish my Spit I. Not too long no.

NFN, thnaks fro the reference pics. One or two I didn't have there.

Well I don't envy you having to paint that camo scheme, but if anyone can do it you can!

I don't know if this is of any use to you CR but I've occasionally found good reference photos for cockpit details from flight simulation programs. I suppose the accuracy would depend on how well-researched the software is though. Here's an example link...

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/store/he219/

Attachments

• owlcockpit.jpg
    owlcockpit.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 353
Found some bits and pieces of detail shots, drawings and profiles for you Andy. I'll scan them just as soon as my scanner decides to stop p*ss*ng about !
BTW, just found out my mate Mick was at Duxford for the BoB show, and saw Gary and Tony near the 'tank bank', but couldn't get close, as he had his grandson with him! I guess you were probably in the group too!

Well, that clears that up! Thanks Paul. Do you know if the more powerful engines in the A-7 produced any visisble differences from the A-2 that I'd need to consider in the build?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back