**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Heinkel He-219 WNr 290123 of 1/NJG 1 Nightfighter GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks to all of you.

I've been progressing all of the little loose ends and am getting very close. Here are some update shots:

First up, we have the installation of the SN-2 arrays. I scatched my head a bit on how to get these at the right angle so I came up with the jig shown in the below pic. First, I propped up the main gear so the plane was perfectly horizontal rather than sitting slightly tail down. Then, starting with the rightmost array, I adjusted the set square side to side and placed the paper clip so the array was straight forward and level. Once satisfied, I dabbed a spot of CA glue at the joint.

110226 Antenna Jig.jpg

The process continued to the left until all the antennae were on (pic below). This picture was taken after having busted two of these off and reglued them already. It's a prickley piece of work to be sure and I don't have much faith that this will be the last time these break off! Also seen in this shot is the gunsight through the glazing. The sight glass was cut off and replaced with a thin piece of clear plastic from some packaging. Theres a bit of touch up to do yet on the glazing frame.

110227 SN-2 Antennae.jpg

Next we have a scratch built D/F loop. These are invariably supplied too thick in 1/48 kits so I made my own by wrapping a thin strip of foil from a wine bottle around a paint brush handle.

110227 DF Loop.jpg

Next up is the suppressed D/F antenna which fit nice but was a pain to paint. PE would have been nice here.

110227 Suppressed DF Aerial.jpg

More antennae! This time it's one of the two FuG101 radio altimeter antennae. Also seen in this pic is the mass balance and trim actuator, seen better in the photo that follows. The trim tab actuator is made from sprue.

110227 FuG101 Antenna.jpg

110226 Mass Balance.jpg

Next we have some more detail added in the wheel well. Now that the main gear was secured, the black hydraulic lines to the cylinders were added.

110226 Hydraulic Lines.jpg

Finally, the flame arrestors were added after having rusted them up a bit with chalk pastels. A bit of drybrushing with silver brought out the grille details on the front. Some paint wear has been added with silver pencil. I also just noticed that I forgot to paint the wing root cannon!

110227 Flame Dampers.jpg

Thanks to Terry for adding a couple of days as I really could use them. Left to do:

Re-attach rear radar antenna mount that broke off and which, per Erich's pointer, should be there,
Finish the radio antenna wires
Finish canopy - there's a sight for the s/m cannons that I need to add as well.
Some final wheel well additions
Touch up paint
Re-attach more SN-2 which I will no doubt break off again before I'm done! :lol:

great stuff Andy. You're right about those 'antlers' - knocked a couple off my '110G more than once when moving it around!

Thanks everyone. Small update now. Fabricated a new rear radar mount which broke off during the build using wire, sprue and a dab of clear glue on the end for the cap. I hadn't planned on putting it back until Erich pointed out it was there.

Will give it a coat of paint tomorrow.

Attachments

• 110228 Tail Radar Stub.jpg
    110228 Tail Radar Stub.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 134

Users who are viewing this thread

Back