**** DONE: Revell P-61A 1/48 scale, Nocturnal Nemesis, Night Fighter GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. I think the slight blue tint is from the blue work surface it's sitting on but it is still a bit light for neutral gray. I'll play around with the tints until I find something more satisfactory.

In the mean time I've been working on the props. That checkered pattern can be a mess. I have decals but I don't like them. Instead, I have been using a concave x-acto blade. The trick was to find the very tip of the spinner. In an earlier picture you could see that I already painted the spinner yellow. To find the tip, I held the propeller spinner down with the blades level with the table top. Then I lightly moved the tip across my matted surface until a little paint was removed from the tip. I now have the very tip of my spinner identified. Now there are 8 equally spaced verticle lines running from spinner tip to edge. There are four lines running from one edge of each prop to spinner tip. Using the concave blade, I put one edge of the blade on the tip and the other edge next to the edge of the prop and drew the blade back. This gave me a very straight verticle line. After the initial four lines I just took the middle of the space between lines and drew four more lines. This seemed to work out really well. There are three horizontal lines not counting the very bottom of the spinner that had to be drawn next. I placed the curved blade flat across the tops of the propellers and pulled across. This gave me the lower line. The top line was a little trickier. I looked at the decals and measured from the tip to the next line according to the decal to give me a relative distance. Then I measured from the tip of the spinner and marked out the same distance down for the top line. The last line I took midway between the top and bottom lines and drew it as well. The result looked pretty good. Pictures to follow probably tomorrow as time permits. :)

Today I'll be working on separating the tires from the resin sprue. :)

Ok, here is a picture of what I've been describing. :) I'm still working on the painting part but you can see what it looks like now. :)

Attachments

• P61A 056.jpg
    P61A 056.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 88
Thanks guys. I finished painting the props for the most part. Will add decals tonight and work on the landing bay doors along with the gun sight. Trying to stall for time as the weather slowly warms up a bit. If I can be left alone to concentrate on the model this weekend, I hope to have much of the model completed. Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood. :)

The propellers... Didn't have time for decals yet. Just way too busy. Hopefully tonight. :)

Attachments

• P61A 057.jpg
    P61A 057.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 107
I wanted to finish this crate this weekend but it was just too cold to paint. It's suppose to be pretty cold for the next several days as well. I may just try to paint it all by brush instead...

Anyway, thanks guys for the comments. Here are the propellers with their respective decals on. As for the plane, My light makes it look pretty blue. I made my own neutral gray this time and resprayed it during a spot of warm weather on Friday. It was about 5 C. The second time around came out correctly. Before I sprayed, I darkened the major panel lines and joints. Something I heard about but hadn't done before. Came out nicely. That would be the last photo. I'm still hoping for warm weather to spray the olive drab.

Tomorrow I hope to show something I did with the windows :) I already painted them but haven't taken a photo of them yet. For those that know about the windows of this kit, up near the pilot there are two side windows that are usually open whenever you see a photo of this plane. The kit has them molded shut. I have taken the liberty of opening them so my plane, once the weather cooperates, will have the two side windows made open. :)

Attachments

• P61A 058.jpg
    P61A 058.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 80
  • P61A 059.jpg
    P61A 059.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 75
  • P61A 060.jpg
    P61A 060.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 82
  • P61A 061.jpg
    P61A 061.jpg