**** DONE: Spitfire MkVb,31st FG,USAAF - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

According to the 31st Fg Honour Roll (31stfghonor_roll43-44) Spitfire Vb EN799 was
Coded MX-R, while based at Merston, England. Plane details 45MU 2-5-42 HQ 8Ftr T S ATC 21-10-42 61OTU crashed nr Stafford 15-12-42 SOC 24-12-42
Sounds like it was used mainly for training (if I read that right) and hence its short lifespan perhaps.

Last edited:
Have started to cut paste.

IMG_0952.JPG

Had to remove molded on reinforcing spars on wings and rescribe panel lines.

ribs.jpg

Still have to neaten this up a bit.

IMG_0951.JPG

Thanks for lookin',

David.

Here is a pic of a Spitfire Mk.V of 309th Squadron taken in July 1942. The yellow strip on the wing leading edge can be seen clearly as well.
The pic source .... the Ventura Classic warbird 3 American Spitfire camouflage and markings vol.1 book.

Spitfire MKVb 309th FS  July 1942.jpg

Concerning the MXoP and the unit emblem.... The plane was partially re-painted undoubtedly. The reason for the lack of the squadron insignia might be that the image was taken at an early stage of the aircraft using. Later the unit badge might have been added. I would like to pay your attention to the location of the letter code. This one was applied more forward than those on the MXoR ,MXoD and MXoM.

Nice choice of subject David. I'm planning on doing an American Spitfire someday soon. I doubt it will be in time for this GB but it is on the radar.

Watching with interest.

Good news - have been plodding along and cockpit nearly done.

Bad news - managed to crack the front and rear clear canopt parts whist cleaning them up. Ham fisted dolt I can be. I have an Airfix and ICM kit in the stash will attempt to rob Peter to pay Paul (as long as they fit).

IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG

Thanks for looking,

David.

Some progress shots. Seat, belts, wash. More to do. A coat of flat to tie it all in and finish off instrment panel.

IMG_1099.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1105.JPG
IMG_1101.JPG

Still have to sort out canopy.

David.

Last edited:
Some more done. Tidied up, flat coated, dry fitted.

IMG_1117.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG
IMG_1121.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG

And poor old 'How About Billy' 17 tries still unplaced at track. Bit like myself and group builds.....:oops:

Cheers,
David.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back