**** DONE: Spitfire MkVIII, 136 Squadron RAF, Burma, 1944, Commonwealth GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I managed to slightly improve the top horizontal frames on the windscreen, and the frames are painted, and on the canopy. I decided to make and fit the canopy locking latch, and the 'rubber' jettison ball, now rather then later, and these have also been painted.
The landing gear has been assembled, brake lines added from lead wire, and the legs and doors painted, and the wheels were lightly sanded to get rid of the slightly too 'rounded' appearance of the tread area, and 'flats' filed, before painting and the first stage of 'dirtying'.
PIC 1. The landing gear and wheels. The latter will have more work done to them once they are fully dry, with more red 'dust' added to the tyres.
PIC 2. The windscreen and canopy after painting the frames. The thinned horizontal frame is just visible above the masking, although the paint on the masking tape makes it still look thick. Just visible under the canopy forward frame is the locking latch, and the red jettison ball, whilst on the lower frame, the red-painted jettison wires can just be discerned. The frames have been gloss clear-coated, to blend with the model, and there's a little tidying-up to be done, before adding a matt clear coat, and removing the tape.
So now I'm just waiting to hear from Max, to learn if the film footage reveals anything, before continuing any further. Soon as I know what's what, I'll let you all know, and finish the serial number decals, before applying a matt clear coat to the model, and starting on the final details.
Thanks once again for your interest and kind comments.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 229.jpg
    Bob Cross build 229.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Bob Cross build 237.jpg
    Bob Cross build 237.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 139
As ever great work many thanks Terry!
Hopefully film will arrive soon when it does I will be straight back with any news!

Thanks very much guys, it's very much appreciated.
Andy, I was rather surprised that ICM had done such good work in other detail areas, but got that one frame twice the size it should be.
Working on the tail wheel now, as it's supplied as the fixed leg for the MkIX, so needs some modification to represent the retracting leg of the MkVIII - unless the spares box throws out something of course!

Thanks Bill.
Whilst waiting to see if the IWM film footage reveals anything further on a serial number, I got on with altering the tail wheel to at least look a bit like that on the MkVIII.
The ICM kit is issued as basically a MkIX, and is boxed with the parts for the MkVIII, but it only provided the fixed, MkIX tail wheel, which was a rectangular section tubular leg, with a castoring wheel. Strange, considering the rest of the alternative parts included.
The MkVIII had a tubular leg, with a rubber gaiter over the damper, a smaller wheel yoke, and the whole lot was retractable.
First job was to re-shape the castoring yoke, then remove the rectangular section leg. Once this was done, the yoke / wheel was drilled to accept a short length of 20 amp fuse wire, and then a suitable length of plastic rod was also drilled, and the wire fitted into this, the whole lot being 'Super glued' - including my fingers!
Once set, a little PVA was moulded around the lower section to represent the corrugated rubber gaiter, and then painted as required.
PIC 1 Shows the kit part.
PIC 2. A drawing of the MkVIII assembly, kindly provided by Andy. (Thanks again mate!)
PIC 3. The wheel after modification, showing the wire pin and the plastic rod shaft.
PIC 4. After assembly, with the PVA textured to represent the rubber gaiter, and initial painting. The photo reveals some touch-up is needed, and this will be done once fitted, and then dust added to the tyre.
Just as soon as I hear from Max, I'll get back onto the final decal and painting work, and then continue with the detail and final assembly.
Thanks again for your continued interest and encouragement.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 239.jpg
    Bob Cross build 239.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Spit VIII tail wheel..jpg
    Spit VIII tail wheel..jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Bob Cross build 242.jpg
    Bob Cross build 242.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Bob Cross build 246.jpg
    Bob Cross build 246.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 71
Nice work Terry
No sign of DVD from Imperial War Museum but hopefully it will turn up soon!!
I have also ordered a DVD of whole squadron AIR27 so we will have a complete record of the squadron activities. I have also ordered Bob's Military Service Record which may add a bit of background - he started as a Flight Sergeant ended up a Squadron Leader so I am interested to learn when his promotions took place! He was a Flight Lieut when he got DFM from the King at Buck House! Interestingly the news paper cutting says he had a bar to the DFM..

Thanks guys. I replied here yesterday, but it looks like it didn't load!
Bill, yes, it was basically the same on all the retract tail wheels. The rubber gaiter covered the exposed damper / oleo shaft.
Thanks Max, sounds like some good info on the way. Very interesting about the DFM and Bar. If he was awarded one after being commissioned, then it would be a DFC - looking forward to finding out !
BTW, I think, from his Log Book, he commenced training as a AC, then Sgt., with F/Sgt coming later. I'll have to have another read .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back