**** DONE: Spitfire MkVIII, 136 Squadron RAF, Burma, 1944, Commonwealth GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flicking through one of my magazines on Wednesday and found these profiles....

Attachments

• IMGP0169a.jpg
    IMGP0169a.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMGP0168a.jpg
    IMGP0168a.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 130
Thanks Peter, and thanks Wayne for the profiles. Got the first one (HM-E) but the other is interesting showing a serial number. Bob didn't fly 'L', but at least it's another serial number identified from around 2,000 listed !

Just a quick up-date.
Max has sent the DVD footage showing the Squadron in February 1944, but I was out when it was delivered, so have to collect it from the Post Office on Monday. Apparently, there are no further details of serial numbers, so it looks like I'll be going with my original choice.
I'm working on the base at the moment, and the DVD will hopefully provide some idea of what the airfield's surface was like, which will help enormously.
I'll get some pics posted when there's something to show.

Not a lot to show for almost two hours work, but the serial numbers have now been applied to both sides of the fuselage, using individual decals from a 'Tally Ho' Decals sheet.
These were a slight pain, in as much as they were difficult to get to settle without moving at the slightest touch, and some of the letters/numbers were slightly different sizes!
They are also very black, in itself not a bad thing, but maybe I should have made my own, where the limitations of the process would have provided a slightly faded look.
Having viewed the film footage provided by Max, I was able to decipher a couple of serial numbers on aircraft not flown by Bob Cross, and these fell into the same batch as JF619, which is confirmed as having been on strength at the 'right time'.
The footage also showed some good detail of the very dusty airstrip, and the filth on the aircraft themselves, so the 'stark' serials can now be softened slightly by some judicious, but restrained, applications of dust and dirt.
Next step is the matt clear coat, which will be followed by the 'dust', and I hope to have some pics of this, and the first stages of the display base, very soon.
Thanks again for your continued interest and encouragement.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 249.jpg
    Bob Cross build 249.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 107
Nice Terry. I'm sure the flat coat and dust will dull the codes, although I think they look fine as is. I'm curious as to how you'll achieve the overall dusty look.

Thanks guys.
Andy, I'm curious on how I'm going to do the dust!
Probably either dry-brush, or use an almost vertical 'fountain' mist with the airbrush, as I used to do on tank models years ago.

I find that earth tone pastel chalk on the dullcoat works well for that Terry, and a bonus is that if you don't like it you can wash it right off or seal it with another coat of flat if it looks right.

Its certainly taking shape Terry!! I am intrigued to see dust effect!
Super stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back