**** DONE: Spitfire MkVIII, 136 Squadron RAF, Burma, 1944, Commonwealth GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not sure there would be enough control with the paint / clear coat mix Andy.
I'll probably do a combination of a little pastel, some damp-brushing and dry-brushing, and a very fine, patchy mist coat with the airbrush.
I hope to get the first stage done tonight, followed by the first clear matt coat, so we'll see what happens!
If feint screams are heard drifting across the UK, Europe and the Atlantic ...........

With only 27 days left, it's quicker and easier to make my own H.
It could take two weeks for delivery, and I need to get the clear coats on now, to be able to continue with construction.

By Jove I think I'm getting there!
The first stage of making the airframe look dusty has been completed, and a matt clear coat sprayed overall.
Next step is to add some 'clean' spots in the dust, and the noticeable areas around some skin panel joints, where the dust has blown off, and the paint was more dense, plus some more pronounced 'dusty' areas, particularly around the gear bays, tail-planes and lower rear fuselage. Having watched the film footage a number of times now, the dust thrown up, and in the air generally, was horrendous, and it's a wonder the aircraft kept flying. How anyone landing other than first was able to complete the round-out is any ones' guess!
The pics show the state of the model to date, and I hope to have more in a day or two.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 252.jpg
    Bob Cross build 252.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Bob Cross build 253.jpg
    Bob Cross build 253.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Bob Cross build 257.jpg
    Bob Cross build 257.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 92
Thanks very much indeed guys - I wasn't sure how well it would show up on the average monitor screen.
There's more to do yet, but the first stages were done with a couple of 'known' methods, plus a slightly risky experiment.
First, selected areas were 'damp-brushed' with a light red/brown mix and, once dry other areas had a very light dry-brush of a lighter tone. When this was dry, a mix of stone-coloured and reddish-brown pastels were crushed into a fine powder dust and rubbed over the entire airframe, lightly, using a finger tip. This was then brushed and blown off, and some areas gently rubbed to expose darker shades beneath, with other areas wiped with a damp finger tip.
The risky bit was the matt clear coat. This was mixed from Johnson's Klear (Future) and Tamiya Flat Base as normal, until a full matt was achieved. Then a tiny touch more Flat Base was added, which gives a very slight, almost unnoticeable, grey tinge to the clear coat. This was then sprayed overall, and thankfully it dried as intended !
Next step is some detail weathering and wear, then move on to the final construction stages.
More tomorrow hopefully!

That is looking damn good Terry, I was thinking of pigment for dust and some fading and dirty water (brush cleaning residue) for water stains................hoping it works.

Some more subtle weathering, dust and staining has been added, and the prop, undercarriage and exhausts fitted. The latter have been painted in the base colour, but have yet to have the staining applied.
Next step is to improve and fit the gun sight, add the windscreen, canopy and cockpit hatch, then fit the various antenna, followed by the lamps.
The pics show the state of play to date, and I should have some more pics soon.
Meanwhile, work continues on building a small corner of Rhumkhapalong airfield.
Thanks once again for your continued interest and kind comments.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 272.jpg
    Bob Cross build 272.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Bob Cross build 270.jpg
    Bob Cross build 270.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 111
  • Bob Cross build 261.jpg
    Bob Cross build 261.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Bob Cross build 259.jpg
    Bob Cross build 259.jpg