Favorite Vietnam War Movie

What is your Favorite Vietnam War Movie?

• Go Tell The Spartans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Boys in Company "C"

• Air America

• Casualties of War

• The Deer Hunter

• The Green Berets

• A Rumor of War

• The Walking Dead

• 84 Charlie Mopic

• Heaven Earth

• Flight of the Intruder

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Ok, so we decided or played around with favorite WWII movie - how about the other wars? Wanted to start off with Vietnam because I think there are some tough choices here. Didn't want to add any of the "Coming Home" or "Rambo" types, just strickly dealing with the war itself. Hope I listed most of them!

Last edited:
I thought Mel Gibson did a great job on "We Were Soldiers". Read the book- We were Soldiers Once and Young.

But you did miss the movie- Heaven and Earth, which is one of the best Vietnam movies in my opinion. One of the trilogy of Oliver Stone's Vietnam movies. It tells of the Vietnamese POV and is beautifully filmed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qm3ijLDXUc

Thanks Amsel, I added it. These were the ones I've seen and could remember. Thanks!

Thanks Amsel, I added it. These were the ones I've seen and could remember. Thanks!
No problem. My father served two tours in the Marine Corps in 1965 and 1968 in Vietnam and said that it is a beautiful country. Heaven and Earth was filmed very well showing that.

Last edited:
Tough call between Platoon and BAT 21...but BAT 21 got my vote...

There's some good choices there, definately!

My favorite quote was where he called in Cupcake after Big Sky got waxed in the rice paddy: "I'm gonna waste this whole God-d*mned area!"

And they sure did...

Tough call between Platoon and BAT 21...but BAT 21 got my vote...

There's some good choices there, definately!

My favorite quote was where he called in Cupcake after Big Sky got waxed in the rice paddy: "I'm gonna waste this whole God-d*mned area!"

And they sure did...

And didnt they make the downed airmen walk through the paddy to clear out the landmines?

I went with Full Metal Jacket.
I never went through basic training for any branch of the service but there wasn't a single line R. Lee Ermey said to those recruits I hadn't had used on me.
Dad being a Marine; there is still nothing former about it.
I was sitting in my seat suppressing a laugh because it was all too familiar.

Wheelsup

For me, "We Were Soldiers" by a mile!

I don't like Viet Nam War movies much but WWS was outstanding. Was early war (1965) before LBJ screwed things up. The troopers weren't yet wearing "jungles" or jungle boots.

If you get your hands on the DVD watch the deleted scenes. They're as good as any scene in the final cut.

TO

And didnt they make the downed airmen walk through the paddy to clear out the landmines?

I'd have to watch it again, but I thought he (the pilot) was just leading the NVA on, insulting him and walking backwards, trying to find a mine and hoping it would get them both. I can't imagine an NVA forcing him to find the mines, and following along. I mean, once he finds one, you lose your "finder". Now you're stuck in the middle of a flooded minefield. Still, excellent movie!

I was going to go with either Full Metal Jacket or Platoon, until I saw "We Were Soldiers". One of two movies guaranteed to get me teared up. EXCELLENTLY done. Very good portrayal of the hell of war, the racial politics of the time, and the pain our soldiers went through if they were lucky enough to return. Agree with TO, definitely watch the deleted scenes! The one with the newbie butter-bar 1st LT and Gunny Sgt Plumley's medals....priceless!!! Also, the scene with Gibson and his Lt who just became a dad, in the hospital chapel...the prayer he says...."Oh, and Lord, if You'll ignore all their heathen prayers and help us to blow the little bastards to hell. Amen." :occasion5:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back