**** FINISHED: 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 - Winter War / Eastern War WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
Username: JKim
First name:John
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Profipack Edition
Aftermarket addons: Mostly OOB since the Profipack comes with lots of extras like PE and masks. Added stretched sprue for engine pushrods, landing gear cable, and door handle.

This aircraft was flown by General Major Ivan Lakeev based with the 46th IAP at Vasilkov airfield.

Mandatory six viewpoints:

JTK_1854_copy_zpsa12c401e.jpg

JTK_1845_copy_zpsdca9952d.jpg

JTK_1847_copy_zpsb12cb170.jpg

JTK_1849_copy_zpsdf11c769.jpg

JTK_1851_copy_zpsee23ac5c.jpg

JTK_1853_copy_zps8932c33c.jpg

Optional four viewpoints:

JTK_1882_copy_zpsef2e1cfd.jpg

JTK_1866_copy_zpse1e644a7.jpg

JTK_1872_copy_zpsdfd1e8b0.jpg

JTK_1891_copy_zpsdc4841ae.jpg

Last edited:
A great job John. When I get back at mine, I'll be using some of your issues as reference. There's over 3 months left. Got another in the stash for this GB?

Geo

Thanks! I hope my build is helpful when you piece together your Rata! Despite the minor difficulties installing the landing gear and especially the doors, I really like the end result. The scale of pieces looks right and the whole spidery contraption looks impressive once it all comes together. One thing I forgot to mention is that I used my recently purchased micro drill set and pin vise to drill small holes in the landing gear wells and main wheels where the cable attaches too. On the kit they are just depressions and I think enlarging them a tad and making them deeper makes the cable easier to secure.

I don't have a stash of kits. I've been working on them one at a time. But... I did have a hankering to build a 109 or 190 in an Eastern front winter scheme. So maybe I'll pull the trigger on another kit. I need something to do for the next three months! Something along the lines of Nowotny's White Eight...

9780764325274_p0_v2_s260x420.jpg

Very, very nice. I really like it.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I feel like my modeling is getting a little better each time out. Especially with all of the advice and tips I've been getting here. I've beefed up my tool kit to include a micro drill set, an assortment of sheet styrene, a scribing tool so I feel more confident facing issues that I used to ignore.

As already said, lovely little build John and it's nice to see some fresh blood muscling in.

Great job :) she turned out great, how did you find the wheel fit? (they sort of set flimsy every time I build these :D)

Great job :) she turned out great, how did you find the wheel fit? (they sort of set flimsy every time I build these :D)

The landing gear fit well but the struts are so thin that I needed to reinforce the attachment points with CA glue when it came time to attach the gear doors. Nothing a little patience and care can't overcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back