**** DONE: 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 18 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Again, thank you. The start of the weathering, a little more around the cowl and wing root me thinks...

002.JPG

I've also just about got the front of the cowl to where I want it, lots of sanding and fitting. It won't be perfect but it will look better than the 1mm+ step.

Geo

EDIT: Once again, in two days, I've had to use the basic uploader.

Last edited:
Looks great, George! Sorry to hear about the ill-fitting cowling. I guess there are some manufacturing variations in these plastic kits that must be accounted for. Hopefully your landing gear is a good fit like it was on mine.

Thanks guys. Did a test drive with my clear flat on the elevators and the same thing happened as happened with my Cat in GB22.(Please see thread in the Painting Questions, Tutorials and Guidebooks section).

001.JPG
002.JPG

I'm going to give it more time dry(put it on before bed last night) and then figure out how best to deal with it. I've read online that another coat of Future should do it. Barring that, another coat of paint and if that doesn't work, I'll strip it. :rolleyes:

Geo

I gave the new bottle of Tamiya flat a shot and had the same results(yellow arrow) and did a test with the Future over the nasty area(red arrow) which seemed to help. I also mounted the landing gear and the cowling front, not the best fit but the best I'm going to get. It may be that the model is a Type 24 and has parts to make a Type 18 added that is causing the problem. Having said that, Eduards got the Type 18 cowl small vent openings wrong and I didn't notice until it was glued on.

003.JPG

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back