**** DONE: 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 - Winter War / Eastern War WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks good John. Glad the gear turned out all right.

Geo

Thanks Geo! Almost done now but I've made a mess of the photoetch door! It's a small piece that required a tight fold and I didn't have the right tools... looks like I'll be having to scratch out a door manually. Shouldn't be too hard... maybe out of a soda can or plastic cup. Stay tuned!

Thanks for all of the positive comments... once the door situation is remedied, she's ready for final pics!

I scrounged around the house to find something to fashion the botched door with. Looking for either a empty soda can or plastic cup (two things that are easy to cut and have a curve built in), I found this.
IMGP6686_copy.jpg

I used the PE door as a template, taped up against an appropriate section of cup, making sure the curvature was on the correct side.
IMGP6688_copy.jpg

No need to trace and mark since the material is transparent... I simply cut around the outline of the door. I sanded the piece smooth afterwards and painted it. The PE door had a hinge that had broken off when I was trying to fold it. I saved it and figured I could glue it on at a right angle to the door and use it to hang the door on the cockpit sill.
IMGP6689_copy.jpg

Here is what the door looks like from the other side with the hinge glued on.
IMGP6693_copy.jpg

Added a handle using a little piece of stretched sprue to complete the door.
IMGP6699_copy.jpg

Tomorrow, the door will be mounted and the build will be finished.

Door has been installed and all of the other bits and pieces have been added. I am done! What do I do now? I have the required photos ready for submission but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to add them here or start a new **** FINISHED: thread.

JTK_1864_copy.jpg

Just a few notes on the final stages of construction... the landing gear doors proved a minor challenge. Although I thought I had sufficiently secured the landing gear struts, the physical strain of trying to mount the doors resulted in some of the struts popping loose. So I had to re-secure them, again by adding drops of Tamiya Extra Thin cement into the attachment points. Luckily, none of the locating pins broke off and it feels like things are secure again. Patience and a light touch are the key words here.

JTK_1858_copy.jpg

Those are great builds. Much better than I could achieve. I thought this was going to be fun but maybe I was mistaken about this place.
After seeing how well your I-16 "Ishak" looks I say you're wrong. You have done a job that I find to be quite on par with the other two in my opinion. Congratz on finishing and also where did you get those Ultraman masks in your pic?

After seeing how well your I-16 "Ishak" looks I say you're wrong. You have done a job that I find to be quite on par with the other two in my opinion. Congratz on finishing and also where did you get those Ultraman masks in your pic?

Thank you for your kind assessment! And also for your previous comments about us being our own worst critics... you are very mature for being 14 and seem to have a good head on your shoulders. Like your quote says, I am trying to enjoy the model building process and keeping it fun!

LOLZ on recognizing the Ultraman faces! My wife actually took that picture in Little Tokyo (Los Angeles). She knows I'm an Ultraman fan and I guess she took my daughters into a comic book/anime shop there and snapped the picture of the masks that they had. If she really loved me, she woulda bought me those masks! :lol: How does a 14 year old in Alabama know about Ultraman?

Good work John. A good fix for the door.

No need to answer your question as your finished post is perfect. Soon you'll see that one of the mods (probably Wojtek) will change the header of this thread to "****DONE....". You won't need to do anything further.

As for me, I'm 55 and never heard of Ultraman!

I go away for a few day and now I'm looking at the first finished build and only 12 days into the comp which I've not even entered yet.

Lovely little build John, I'm impressed.

Thanks guys! I had a little head start. I had posted the start of this build on the WIP board and Andy was kind enough to invite to this group build, which just happened to fit this bird! My first group build... woo hoo!

Oh man, those landing gear haunt my dreams, excellent go :D (I've got one attached on my Japanese I-16 and one always setting flimsy no matter what I do :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back