France, My country,My Fatherland

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mar 10, 2011
Hi

I have discovered this forum because of a post in my french favorite forum.

I don't understand how some members of your forum can be so vile about what happened during WW2.Yes, French Government made mistakes, yes people were killed by barbarians, yes we are not proud of it.

But I think every country has his own cross to bear.Every history revealed some flaws. USA, Great Britain, Russia, Brasil, Japan,etc.... how many massacres, how many deaths?

Thanks for reading me.

Benoit

Welcome to the forum, François le Français!
French culture still fascinates me and the people also look unique to me.

Bonjour Benoit, I think there is a perceived thought of extreme arrogance that French people exhibit, I was born in France(LaSeyne-sur-Mer) and there are many times that I see things the French govt does that irritates the hell out of me and also the media is quick to dump on the French when something does not go our way. As for the country itself it is a wealth of beauty,culture,culinary arts etc. I have not been back since 1981 but I still have family and friends that I would like to see again. I'm sure you are thrilled when the loud american tourist shows up, they are not indicative of all Americans either. Please introduce yourself, where are you in France?Hobbies etc. and welcome to the board.

I do not think we so much hate but do we make fun yea sure but what country does not make fun of another?I do like the harder line that Government has taken of late.My mother was full blooded Canandian French I am 1/2 myself but she was not fond of the French people so much but loved France.She visited a couple of times to France and I always remember the cab driver that thought she was a stupid American.He talked and talked berating the US and Americans for much of the ride till she responded in fluid french upon which he shut up :).Cheers

I do not think we so much hate but do we make fun yea sure but what country does not make fun of another?
In the past France was victim of this 'fun' quite a bit more than other countries. Anti-France sentiments ran quite high a few years ago. I had several attacks because of my French name (the idiots apparently didn't know a Dutch from a French flag) and we even had a thread called "how to piss on the French". I think this is where the topic starter got this idea from. Fortunately things improved quite a bit and I haven't seen structural anti-French sentiments over the last 2-3 years, apart from some teasing and individual incidents of course.

Last edited:
To me Marcel it was probably the mid-80's with the Libya deal that got a few in the US upset.Beyond that I seem to remember as you mention a time not long ago were there was a few slams on France.

I am glad that you a patriot, Francois. So am I. When one country and culture sacrifices itself - blood and treasure - to help another, rightly or wrongly they feel they have earned the right to criticize.

After the debacles of WW2 both Germany and Japan have re-defined themselves. After WW2 did France ...?

Francois, please share with us the things you are proud of ... so we can appreciate them. :)

MM
Proud Canadian

François, d'abord et avant tout permettez-moi de vous souhaiter la bienvenue à ce forum
Next I do apologize if you took what I consider plain statements of historical fact as a personal attack on your country. Speaking for myself it was certainly not meant in that way. I am of German descent and not proud of many of the horrible things done by Germany. I am also a very proud American but by the same token my head is not in the sand over some of the things our POLITICIANS have done in the name of my country

I think it's pretty much here as it is between Norway and Sweden, tough broderly love with all that it includes, bit of banter, a punch here and a kick there, but still....brotherly love! Would love to visit France, see the nature, castles and so on! France have done a lot, just look Andree' Chapelon(?) who designed some fantastic steam locomotives, French aviation (love the Mirage III)... Not to mention the colourful history, not always without it's flaws....but, what country doesn't have it's skeletons in the closet?
Being a Swede, Sweden hasn't always made the right decisions or done the right actions that I'm proud, last during the WWII...the German troop trains that we let pass through the country, to mention one thing.... Then we have the most sympathetic of all, the Vikings! :lol:

Anyway, welcome to the forum and our family my friend, hope that you'll stick around. :wave:

Hey Jan, isn't the Swedish royal family descended from Bernadotte, one of Napoleon's marshals? There's a French-Swedish connection for you. :)

Also, welcome to the forum Benoit. At the Kalemegdan fortress in Belgrade there's a Monument of Gratitude to France erected in memory of French-Serbian alliance in World War 1. It was officially unveiled on 19th September 1930. Inscription on the monument says "We love France as she loved us 1914-1918".

800px-Monument_to_France.jpg

Hi, Francois, and welcome.

It would be cool if you can toss some not-well known articles about French air force armed forces in general - perhaps something Imalko (Igor) has done many times :)

To quote the Cape Buffalo: "ribbit"

Far too many thin skinned around. I don't remember any particular vicious threads about France but I do remmember some nasty remarks about

USA
Britain
Germany
Canada
etc., etc., etc.......

Everybody is welcome here, just strap yourself in for the ride.

"He who laughs first, laughs at himself!" Sam Slade

Hi and welcome

I think there is some bias against france in this place, but i also thik there are times when it cuts both ways.

In the context of WWII what really gets my nose out of joint is when the early debacles that befell france are blamed on the British. Or that britains responses to the co-belligerent biases expressed in Vichy were somehow out of line. I cannot agree with that in the even the smallest degree.

The french have a long and proud history that deservedly commands respect. Some things they have done courageously and effectively. Perhaps we should concentrate on their accomplishments and sacrifices rather than dwell on the nations failures....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back