Fw 190 production line - A4k's (possible) group build...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Colonel
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
Yes folks, I've bitten the bullet, I've dusted off the kidskin gloves, I've pulled the proverbial finger out of the proverbial lower-intestinal anatomical recess, and started a thread on what (with more than just a little luck) will result in two entries in the esteemed 'Defence of the Reich 1943-45' group build...:)

The kits concerned are the following: (all 1:72)

Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8 ('D-day') - Hasegawa (kit no. SP 129);
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8/F-8 w/ Bv 246 Hagelkorn - Revell AG (kit 04135);
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8/R11 - Revell AG (kit 04165) x3.

I never build OOB, and this is no exception. The plan is as follows:

Hasegawa A-8: conversion to A-8/R2 or R8, intended for the build;
Revell A-8: conversion to S-5 two seat trainer for Wojtek;
Revell A-8/R11 #1: conv. to A-5/U1 or A-8/U1 trainer for me;
Revell A-8/R11 #2: conv. to either A-7/R6, F-8, or A-9 (still can't decide which), intended for the build.
Revell A-8/R11 #3: Hackframe for components for this and future D-series run.

Very (over??)ambitious you say? Bloody oath!, but the fact of the matter is I have to return an MPM Fw 190S-5 trainer I'm borrowing from a friend for pattern-making soon, and figured what the hell, If I'm kit bashing two 190s already, I might aswell do the four. Was tempting to drop the D's and Ta 152 in aswell, but I'd be sleeping on the balcony...:oops:

Officially started the builds mid Jan, working them assembly line fashion and modifying each kit in turn according to the desired type. No speedy work here, due to time restrictions, other commitments, and concentrating on accuracy and workmanship, but hopefully the two atleast will be ready in time for judging.

Will try to post the first pics when I work out how, but till then I can tell yas the wing halves have had initial modifications made, fueslage interiors cut out for the trainers with initial clean up completed, and currently cutting out the tail and main wheel wells. These will be completely reconstructed - I just hope it all works!!!!!

Thankyou for your patience, ladies and gentlemen, and suggestions will be gratefully received re the 'A-7/-9, or F-8?' question, all are damn tempting to be honest...!

Evan

Hell's teeth! You don't do things by halves mate! I'm not even going to attempt to put all your entries on the list - I'll just wait until you're ready to post, then take it from there!
Sounds like a good scheme Evan, looking forward to some pics when you can.

Grabs a few bits and bobs from the chippy...! This will be interesting, looking forward to your pics mate! :thumbright:

Thanks guys! :D

I hope it all turns out as I plan. Everything will be as accurate as poss - even the instrument panels and side consoles will be modified according to the type. That's why I can't promise they'll be ready in time for judging...

I have to say too I'm not on par with some of the other modellers on the forum (I compensate for it with over-ambition :)), and to be blunt am very worried I'll do all this work and then screw up the paintschemes...

Will try to get the pics sorted ASAP.

Thanks guys, and sounds good to me Wayne!

Cut out the last main wheel wells today (including the two D-9s :oops:) , during a quiet moment at work - one of the perks of working in the engineering lab! :)

Keep ya's posted as they progress.

Just to keep ya's informed, my build is on hold. More important things to take care of at the moment.
Probably won't be round the forum much either for the same reason.

Good luck to everyone else for the build, might join ya's in another one sometime.

Evan

Thanks guys, I really appreciate that.(Sorry, just noticed your comments Karl, Wayne and Jan! :oops: )

No worries, just going through a bit of a rough patch still. Trying to keep a cool head and deal with it, but it does get a bit on top of me at times.

I'll still be around as much as I can, but ya's'll understand if it's not so often.

... And from the modelling side of things I still have to return the Fw 190 trainer to my mate, so I'll try to keep some progress happening there atleast. (Still haven't gotten round to posting the pics yet... :rolleyes: )

Cheers! Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back