GrauGeist's Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Took the camera to work today to do a little cleaning on it. Afterwards, I went out back and "stalked" some bees!

Here's another one from the other day...just cropped it is all

Great shots Dave, love these sort of photos. Hope you enjoy the airshow and get some good pics.

Just thought I'd drop the observation photo in. Two pictures of Tawny Frogmouth Owl: Pic 1 shows the Owl. Pic 2 kind of hides the owls, how many do you see?

Good hunting

Attachments

• Tawny 1.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Tawny 2.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 103
Thanks guys, I usually crop the images a little and reduce them so it shows a little background/color along with the subject. The last Bee, I just left full size and just cropped it so you could see some good Macro detail.

Matter of fact, I'll add cropped versions of the two bees from a few posts back, and these'll be only cropped with no other editing. You can see that my shutter speed was almost too slow, allowing for the bee to blur just a little. If I had the shutter speed a little faster, I could have froze it's wings (and prevented the borderline blur). Macro photography is really tough when you're working with insects and I end up shooting tons of photos to get (maybe) one good shot.

Vic, I have never heard of a Tawny Frogmouth Owl, but they look cool! Of course, our Owls will be different than the ones in your neck of the woods! And speaking of woods...I looked all over the second photo, and I'll be danged if I can see even one of 'em!

Attachments

• IMGP7773-cr.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMGP7779-cr.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Well spotted guys, three it is. Funny thing is, didn't know they were there until the pic was blown up on the computer.

Attachments

• Tawny 2.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 78
Insects are notoriously hard to photograph. They move too much, even when they've landed, and are light enough that the slightest breeze or movement on your part will blur the photo. I read an article in Outdoor Photography awhile back that stated that a lot of the commercial insect shots are done in studio settings, where the insects are either kept very cold (and are therefore very sluggish), or are dead insects that have been "posed". Still, there's nothing like that feeling you get when, after sitting in one spot getting laughed at by co-workers (and nibbled on by other insects) for an hour or so, you get The Shot. Great photos, BTW, and I agree with Eric, the wing-blur gives it motion, and proves that it's a live insect!

S.O.B.!!

I looked right at those three and figured it was bark or something! That's what I get for second-guessing myself.

Needless to say, if those were bad guys and I pulled the same stunt, I'd be a stain.

Damn...

Got a few shots from my deck today...

A pair of Bluejays were "courting" from the looks of it, and I was able to catch one of the many resident Hummingbirds in flight.

During all this, a Hoverfly landed on a Lily right next to me (about 28" - 30" away), and I was able to switch my 70-300 from a zoom to a macro with the press of a button. I really like that feature!

Attachments

• IMGP8079-cr.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMGP8082-rs.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMGP8088-cr.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 87

Users who are viewing this thread