Günther Rall

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich

the old Sage
May 20, 2004
Platonic Sphere
rats ..............

Lt. General Gunther Rall
March 10th, 1918 - October 4, 2009

General Rall passed away after suffering a heart attack on September 2nd.

He was 91 years old.

it was a pleasure to interview the man some years ago.

E `

rats ..............

Lt. General Gunther Rall
March 10th, 1918 - October 4, 2009

General Rall passed away after suffering a heart attack on September 2nd.

He was 91 years old.

it was a pleasure to interview the man some years ago.

E `

Erich - simply, he was one of my favorite people . I held in in the same esteem I had for for Robin Olds and my father.

Salute to a warrior and one helluva man!

Very sad news. One of the greatest of all time by anyone's standards.

He was one of the great "Aces"... :salute:

Attachments

• G%C3%BCnterRall.png
    G%C3%BCnterRall.png
    256.8 KB · Views: 277
Damn! Another one flies off into the sunset!

:salute:

P.S. Something I just found out by doing some more reading on him, is he was awarded the Legion of Merit by the US in 1973. Very interesting...

Last edited:
Very sad news, I saw him only once when I went to listen his lecture but has seen him a couple times in TV. And of course I have read his memoirs. My impression on him was that he was a modest but lively old gentleman. In TV programs he also showed that he was witty and humorous and very clever; no wonder he reached high rank in military. And of course he was one of the greatest fighter pilots of his time.

R.I.P
Juha

:salute:

When Adler wrote the Mr. Rall was issued the Legion of Merit award, I had to look up why. This is the information according to Wiki on the award....

The Legion of Merit is a military decoration of the United States armed forces that is awarded for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services and achievements. The decoration is issued both to United States military personnel and to military and political figures of foreign governments. The Legion of Merit is one of only two United States military decorations to be issued as a neck order (the other being the Medal of Honor) and the only United States decoration which may be issued in award degrees (much like an Order of chivalry or certain Orders of Merit).

The Legion of Merit is sixth in the order of precedence of U.S. military decorations, and is worn after the Defense Superior Service Medal and before the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Last edited:
Sing no sad songs on the demise of a warrior
Mourn not his passing, his riderless steed
Tell not me the news by hard riding courier
We have not seen, aye, the last of his breed -

For truth never dies, and courage is truth afire,
Proven in battle endless from skies to the dark mire,
The shell has crumbled, but the spirit within lives
borne by the sacrifice that the warrior's soul gives.

Bandit, 2009

Users who are viewing this thread

Back