Hey Y'all

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SEPatrick

Recruit
Feb 3, 2009
Just wanted to introduce myself . I came across this website/forum a few months ago and only signed up today .

My modeling goes way back to when Airfix and Revell aircraft model kits cost as low as $0.50 - $0.75 USD . And gas was $0.29.9 a gallon . Oh well , so much for the good ol' days .

Never really left the hobby but have been semi-retired from it for many years and now getting back into it .

BTW , does anyone have any photos , plans or information about the WW2 RAF Stirling Bomber ? There were 2 websites , one I believe in the Netherlands which seems to have gone comatose and one still active in the UK . I'm looking for detailed info on the Stirling so I can build a 1:48 sclale model of one . I feel that the Stirling and its courageous flight crews got screwed out of the publicity and fame that they really deserve by history and historians . The Stirling was a good bomber that if it had been built to the original idea/plans that Short aircraft company had intended instead of the bogus requirements heaped on it by the Air Ministry . It would have had a very successful career and history .

See y'all later .

SEPatrick

Hey buddy, welcome to the site.

I agree about the Stirling, castrated at birth to fit inside a 100 ft wide hangar door, hence its lousy wingsan, resulting in a stalky undercart to give it more AoA at take off speed. Criminal.

The Stirling still dropped a huge amount of bombs! It along with the Halifax was an important part of the strategic bombing campaign and i agree it should be spoken of more!

Hello Patrick, and welcome from England. I agree about the Stirling, and there is very little in the way of readily avilable info. Hope to see you on the modelling pages, and it's not too late to join in on the Group Build!

The Stirling was a good bomber that if it had been built to the original idea/plans that Short aircraft company had intended instead of the bogus requirements heaped on it by the Air Ministry . It would have had a very successful career and history

Welcome to the family mate! I like the Stirling, just as much as the Halifax and Lancaster, beautiful machines built both from Airfix back in the day, when Humbrol made good paints....right Terry? :lol:
What I'd like to know is, what was the original ideas/plans made by Short?

TO SEPatrick:

I am SLOWLY working on an Airfix 1/72 Sterling. There is something about that long landing gear that just begs to be modeled!

There are two books that I have on the Sterling. One is Squadron's Short Sterling in Action #1096. The other is Stirling in Action by Jonathan Falconer. While neither has what you are looking for, both tell the story of the Short Sterling. If you don't have them, I would recommend getting these two books.

The biggest downfall of the Sterling was it's lack of altitude. But in a light condition, it handled like a fighter.

Bill G.

Yep, I used to know a Stirling pilot, sadly passed on now. He told me that he went on to the Halifax later, but prefered the Stirling if not fully loaded. And it's true about the handling when light apparently; he told me he could weave that big bird around like a Tiger Moth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back