ME 209 V5

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fam43

Senior Airman
Feb 2, 2009
Southern Germany
Hi,
Holidays are over now so le us start a new topioc:

There is another plane which I wanted to built for years namely the ME 209 V5 not mistaken for the Bf 209 racing plane.

There is only one pic to date of this mysterious ship to my knowledge.
There is a 1:72 drawing in a chech mag. "Monografie Lotnicze Messerschmitt Me 109 CZ.3 " and an old one of the german artist Gerd W: Heumann who rets in peace for some decades in the german mag. "Flugwelt" from the late fiftees.

There is a fair amount of written documents however which state that is was an attempt of the notorious and selfapointed "genius" Prof. Messerschmitt to regain some ground against the longnosed FW 190 of Kurt Tank. Performance of the ME 209 was lackluster at best having a speedhandicap of up to 25 mph against the Doras which started coming of the assembling lines when only prototypes of the Me 209 existed.
A little footnote:
Around 1938 to 39 Gerhard Schmued left Messerschmitt for political and racist problems. He went to the USA and became Chief design engineer of the P51 Mustang at NAA. He once said: "Messerschmitt will never be able to construct a high performance piston engined fighter". To the dismay of german fighter pilots Schmued was awfully right.

post-6446-1237043530.jpg

(Bundesarchiv Freiburg)

Last edited:
The old drawing of G. W. Heumann:

post-6446-1237043530.jpg

Well not to much background for a scrachting a model nevertheless I started the project.

Last edited:
As ever when I start a nonstandard 109 model I take my old friends, the Matchbox Emil and the old Revell G. I've some stock of them bought in the early eighties.

3232636335663031.jpg

post-6446-1237043530.jpg

Great start mate! (Love your G-10 too!)

(Thanks for a nice memory too...I used to have that Matchbox 109E...( loudly blows his nose in a handkerchief...)

Around 1938 to 39 Gerhard Schmued left Messerschmitt for political and racist problems. He went to the USA and became Chief design engineer of the P51 Mustang at NAA. He once said: "Messerschmitt will never be able to construct a high performance piston engined fighter". To the dismay of german fighter pilots Schmued was awfully right.

Not really. The Bf 109 was, in its day, a very high performance fighter, the later versions just as good as the P51 Mustang. If you use the search engine you'll find that this has been discussed at length many times on the forum. It was only the level of attrition, poor training of Luftwaffe pilots and overwhelming numerical superiority that tipped the balance.

As far as I'm aware (and I admit I'm no expert on the P51) the original design by Schmued was hideously overweight and it was only with help from studying British design and manufacturing that an improved airframe could result. And there's the small matter of the Rolls Royce Merlin engine...

Last edited:
There is a 1:72 drawing in a chech mag. "Monografie Lotnicze Messerschmitt Me 109 CZ.3 "

Moreover , if "Monografie Lotinicze" it means that it is AJ-Press publication and it is not a magazine.What is more, not a Czech (chech ??????) but Polish issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back