ME 209 V5

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Time for the shoes. She wants to walk now. The undercarriage was adapted from the old-tool Revell Dora plus hydraulic pushrods instead of the electric retrackting mechanism:

08me209125.jpg

08me209126.jpg

08me209127.jpg

08me209128.jpg

08me209129.jpg

08me209131.jpg

I have been lookin through whole thread and you have done an amazing job. Not only does your model have amazing cockpit detail, and beautiful Luftwaffe paint job, but you were able to fix many problems that people like me wouldn't have ever dreamed of: widening the engine with putty is genius.
This is the best model I have ever seen, with the most imagination put into it. :notworthy:

Not really. The Bf 109 was, in its day, a very high performance fighter, the later versions just as good as the P51 Mustang. If you use the search engine you'll find that this has been discussed at length many times on the forum. It was only the level of attrition, poor training of Luftwaffe pilots and overwhelming numerical superiority that tipped the balance.

As far as I'm aware (and I admit I'm no expert on the P51) the original design by Schmued was hideously overweight and it was only with help from studying British design and manufacturing that an improved airframe could result. And there's the small matter of the Rolls Royce Merlin engine...

Max ?? What do you mean by 'overweight'.

The original P-51A was 8200 pounds with full internal fuel and ammo and the P-51B/C was ~ 9000 but 550 of the 800 extra ponds was extra fuel and the rest was the Merlin replacing the Allison.

The D was ~ 500 pounds heavier than the B/C but 340 of the 500 was extra guns and ammo.

The H was the result of weight reduction program took the Mustang back to within 300 pounds of the P-51A weight range but included 75 xtra gallons of fuel, 600 more rounds of ammo, two extra guns and a 1650-9 Merlin that weighed 400 pounds more than the Allison

Net - the Mustang grew 800 pounds basic weight from A to D, then shrunk back 650 of those pounds with far more capabilty in the form of the P-51H.

How many other Fighters in WWII ended the war with its best version weighing 150 pounds more than the original production version?

Ed Horkey's team were the first in the world to apply second degree compound curve design to aeronautical engineering so British design and manufacturing wouldn't have known anything about it, or at least would have no hands-on experience of it.

Lead time for NA-73 was 120 days from drawing board to prototype roll-out, it didn't have time to be overweight. The unprecedented level of cooperation between design team and workshop staff were a prime factor in ensuring roll-out on time (and making the weight).

Well folks,
I'm building a Messerschnitt are you sure you are in the correct thread? :)
Just a short comment. The BF 109 wasn't designed for highspeed aircombat. It definitly reached it's peak with the BF 109 E. The F version was elegant and agile but its armament was redicouless at the best. The cockpit in fact was so small the pilots couldn't develope enough moment on the stearing colomn when trying to roll at higher speeds. The renown german ass "Obleser" once told us "she was a diva to fly!" My answer was: " I thought you did fly combat aircrafts." He was not amused at all.

But back to modeltalk.

Ready to fly off. The canopy is installed.

08ME209_133.jpg

08ME209_135.jpg

08ME209_136.jpg

Nice work Mike! A beauty.

Bill and Colin:

Quite right. What I quoted was complete crap, it was contruction data for the P51 H, not any previous marks. Mea Culpa and apologies to all Mustang lovers everywhere.

Mustang P51 H

Forgive me, I have sinned. :lol:

Last edited:
When a kit is finished there come some sighs of releif. They last as long as you find a new project. Maybe there is one. What about building a FW 190 V16 (The FW 190C which never materialized).

speyer09200.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back