Members Meeting Members

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is a pic of Comiso with the Bf 109 that Pbfoot volunteered with. This is from a visit to Neil's part of the world in 2006, (I think!) :)

comiso.jpg

Last edited:
Me too. Darned shame we haven't got a pic of Neil standing next to it. He sent me some detail pics of it a couple of years back, but none of himself with the '109.

what is the emblem on the rudder ? I remember this babe flying over our heads one October day years ago at Chino where the 109 was based for years.

Erich, I think it's the emblem for the Canadian Warplane Heritage (the gold lettering) surrounded by a 'Luftwaffe style' laurel wreath (but in RAF blue), topped by an eagle, with the RAF roundel and Luftwaffe 'Iron Cross' ribbon at the base.
I'm guessing it's a way of displaying the 'owner organisation' name, but in a way that's more in keeping with the period, being similar to those emblems used for high victory scores, where awards or decorations were included in the wreath.

Don't think so Terry. The plane was, and still is I think, owned by Ed Russell and I was trying to find out if he had a personal coat of arms or if the lettering was some stylized version of an acronym for Ed Russel Collection.

Having a 109 would be outside of CWH's mandate as it only restores aircraft flown by Canadians and their emblem has a Firefly in it.

CWHM.jpg

Damn, could have saved a half hour of work!!!! I took a screen capture of a video Neil sent me and shopped it. A bit distorted but pretty clear. I make out the letters CJN????? Luftwaffe Eagle with a lighting bolt? Black/white/red knight's cross ribbon? Oak Leaves.....

Russell 109 Crest copy.jpg

Well, I have exhausted every search option I can think of and still no closer to what the heck it is. Maybe someone up there can contact the group and ask them. I find it hard to believe the question has never come up before. Idle curiosity quickly becomes obsession in my case.

uh oh................

I think the "C" means "Canada". I think. Yeah, I'm almost positive. Yeah, Thats it. Unless it means "Ceylon" or "Cerebral"....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back