Messerschmitt Makeover.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Restoration in Miniature.
Updating and re-painting the Typhoon has sparked me off on a bit of a 'restoration' spree and, as a bit of a warm-up for the BoB Group Build later this year, I thought I'd breath a bit of 'new life' into an old Bf109E.
This is the old Matchbox 1/32nd scale kit, originally released in 1976, which I built sometime in the early to mid '80's. It was originally painted as Werk Nr. 3712, an E4, flown by Oblt. Heinz Ebeling of 9/JG26, but was re-painted as 'White 7' of 4/JG26 about 15 years ago, and has sat gathering dust and grime ever since. Co-incidentally, I've just acquired another example of this now out of production kit, and have often wondered why Revell, who acquired the Matchbox moulds in 1991, and have issued a number of the old kits under the Revell lable, have not re-released this kit which, overall, is rather good, even by today's standards.
I'll be posting a review of this kit, together with a direct comparison to the Hasegawa 'Emil', elsewhere in the Modelling section in the near future, so I won't waste time describing the kit here. The model was built out of the box, with the exception of a scratch-built canopy and seat belts.
The intention is to completely re-paint the model in the colours of W.Nr1990, 'Black 13', flown by Oblt. Helmut Tiedmann of 2/JG3, which force landed in Kent in August 1940, and I'll post a profile of the machine in the next update.
So, the first thing to do was to remove as many delicate parts as possible, before thoroughly degreasing and washing the model, prior to sanding overall.
PIC 1 Shows how the model looked before the 'restoration', somewhat grubby and tired!
Among the parts removed was the opening section of the canopy, which was scratch-built from 38 separate parts, as I intend to use this on the other Matchbox kit I'll be entering in the BoB GB. This will be replaced by the canopy section from the Hasegawa kit, suitably modified to fit, in the closed position. The rear glazing panel was also removed, in order to trim it to allow the Hasegawa canopy to fit snugly, and also to allow access to the rear bulkhead, which will have further details added.
PIC 2 Shows the model with the parts removed, after cleaning, and during initial sanding. Unfortunately, the port undercart leg refused to budge, so it was left in place!
PIC 3 With sanding underway, traces of the original paintwork and markings are now visble, rather like the 'real thing'. Note how the remains of the final clear coat, applied with an enamel varnish, have yellowed with time.
PIC 4. The model after sanding. This was done to provide a 'flat' surface, ready for priming, and also to remove a few minor imperfections, as the model was originally brush painted overall.
PIC 5. Now primed overall, using a light grey enamel, applied thinly and built up with three coats - just enough to obscure the original markings, and provide an even, relatively smooth surface for the camouflage colours. These will be RLM65/71/02, with an 02 mottle, and the wing tips, tailplane tips, and top segment of the rudder will be 04 Yellow. The spinner will be white, with a thin red spiral, and a 70 Scwarzgrun backplate.
The 'Black 13' decals have been produced on the inkjet printer, and will be outlined in white once applied.
Decals for the red 'Tatzelwurm' badges for the nose have also been made, along with some stencils and the Werk Nummer.
So, the next step is to spray the RLM 65 Hellblau on the fuselage, fin, rudder and undersides, after the primer has been allowed to cure for around 24 hours or more.
Thanks for looking, and I'll post another update soon.

Attachments

• models 10 -08 001.jpg
    models 10 -08 001.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 001.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 001.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 288
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 004.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 004.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 288
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 003.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 003.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 302
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 022.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 022.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 307
Thanks Andy. Another coincidence - I'm just about to finish off a 1/24th scale Airfix '109 I picked up in a Woolworths sale about five years ago. It was advertised at half price which, then, should have been about £15. When I got to the checkout, the really bright and intelligent cashier (!) put it through at £7 !! Nice one! The model is built, as Meyerweissflog's belly landed crate, and just needs the base finishing off. I'll post some pics in my intro for the BoB GB.

Terry,

Looking forward to see what you can do with this one. Personally I thought 15 year's natural weathering was a really clever look !!

Keep at 'em old mate.

Thanks guys, should have the first paint on over the weekend. Karl, I know, I seem to have a lot of things going on at the moment. One of the benefits of being single again!!

Hi Airframes,
you are right this Matchbox oldie is far better than the Hasegawa issue. Bought some in the late 80-ties for 5,- DM per kit that's aproximatly 2.50 $! You inspire me to built a spanish BF 109 B or C this will get rid of this damned swastikas. If you allow here is a Matchbox-Revell combination I did 20 years ago.
!'ll enjoy your progress.

6430666431653863.jpg

Thanks guys.
Michael, that's a nice bit of cross-kitting, and I'd love to see you do the B or C.
I'm seriously considering grabbing a couple more of these, before my 'source' dries up, as they're a great, and accurate, alternative to the Eduard kits. Perhaps not as refined, and without all of the PE etc, but still a lot of detail which, when it's all 'worked on', can turn out a very nice model. I'm still mildly surprised that Revell haven't yet released this kit, as they did with the Spit 22 from the Matchbox moulds. That's presuming they have the moulds of course, and didn't sell them to Eduard to have them re-tooled ..... I wonder.......

The re-painting is underway, with the RLM 65 sprayed onto the undersides, fuselage and fin. The fuselage sides around the main wing, and at the base of the tailplanes, have been masked to prevent any possible overspray when applying the first colour, RLM 02, to the wings and tailplanes, and a line of tape has been applied to indicate the high demarcation for the fuselage spine colours. This is loosely tacked in place, just to provide a line to work to, and will be removed, and the remaining paintwork freehanded, once the first colour is on.
PIC 1 Shows the 65 Hellblau on the undsides.
PIC 2. The masking for overspray, and as a guide for the spine colours.
PIC 3. The RLM 02 was mixed from Humbrol Dark Green 30, and Medium Grey129, matched against a paint chip, but made slightly lighter, to allow for scale and the darkening effect of the clear coats. Once the paint on the top fuselage had virtually dried, the tape was removed, and the demarcation sprayed freehand, to obtain the soft edge.
PIC 4. A top view showing the RLM 02 on the wings. It looks lighter, and more 'grey' in these pics, but is very close to the final requirement when viewed in 'real life'.
PIC 5. A profile from the Jagdwaffe series on the BoB, showing how the model will look when finished - I hope!
I'm aiming to paint the RLM71 over the weekend, and, with a bit of luck, the 02 mottle, so I'll post more pics then.
Thanks again for your interest and kind comments.

Attachments

• Bf109 and Tiffie 025.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 025.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 143
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 026.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 026.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 029.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 029.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 031.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 031.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 135
Going great guns Terry.
apologies if I am being cheeky but if you do get a few more of these I have a few swaps if you are interested (always preferred the look of the E and F models to the G)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back