More Ju 88 questions.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
Does any one know or have pictures of how the engine cowl opened ? The few pictures I can find ( all model kits btw) show the entire top cowl laying on the ground in one piece. I would have thought that It may hinge open or in fact does the whole thing have to be removed in one piece ?
Ju88C-6

HI,
To be honest I also haven't found any pics of this.But in many of them I've noticed that the engine cowling consist of 3 parts.Two lower ones and one upper one.These two lower parts were mounted with some catches at the bottom of the engine.Their upper mount was under the exhaust pipes and was also a kind of a hinge ( in some pictures the two open and hanged parts are visible). Besides, they could be dismantled easly ( in a couple of pics the engine cowling was without these coverings only)
The upper part of the cowling seems to be a solid one.But it is not true.The part was divided into three pieces.The upper central piece had probably a mount to the frame but I'm not sure about this.These two side ones were mounted to the central piece with a hinge at three places.And the lower lockers were above the exhaust stacks.It seems that they could be opened up without dismantling or were removed with the central piece as one part.
There is a shot of a Ju88 colour profile I've found somewhwere but where I don't remember.There you can see these cowling much better than in other B&W pics.I hope it is helpful a bit.:)

Attachments

• ju88engine cowling.jpg
    ju88engine cowling.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 121
So much as I can figure from what I've found ,the top cowl was 3 different pieces as you said. The side peices immediately above the exhaust stacks were removable for servicing. The very top panel could be removed with screws (bolts) for more extensive servicing or engine removal etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back