Movie - Midway

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Again, another all star war picture.

Henry Fonda
Eddie Albert
Charlton Heston
James Coburn
Glen Ford
Hal Holbrook
Robert Mitchum
Cliff Robertson
Pat Morita
Dabney Coleman
and a young Erik Estrada

If you take this movie for just a war pic and want to see some action, it's pretty darn good. But a war buff like me is constantly looking for the thousands of mistakes they make with the airplanes. Hellcat's on Midway. Corsairs. Helldivers. Bugs the crap out of me. Devastators attacking with no torpedoes.

Question. The planes they show taking off from the Japanese carriers, were those real Vals or fakes?

Overall, this is one of my favorite war pics.

Not to mention when a pilot first fly a x, and swap to a x, for to later go back to a x....all in mid air! Like some movies! :rolleyes: :lol:

Again, another all star war picture.

Henry Fonda
Eddie Albert
Charlton Heston
James Coburn
Glen Ford
Hal Holbrook
Robert Mitchum
Cliff Robertson
Pat Morita
Dabney Coleman
and a young Erik Estrada

If you take this movie for just a war pic and want to see some action, it's pretty darn good. But a war buff like me is constantly looking for the thousands of mistakes they make with the airplanes. Hellcat's on Midway. Corsairs. Helldivers. Bugs the crap out of me. Devastators attacking with no torpedoes.

Question. The planes they show taking off from the Japanese carriers, were those real Vals or fakes?

Overall, this is one of my favorite war pics.

According to imdb.com.....

The Japanese aircraft in the film were highly modified American AT-6 and BT-13 trainers. The fighters, "Zeros," were AT-6's, the divebombers, "Vals," were BT-13's, and the torpedo- and levelbombers, "Kates," consisted of AT-6 fronts and wings and BT-13 tails.

TO

My biggest problem with "Midway" is that the Japanese are speaking English. Doesn't look or sound right.

Would much rather see subtitles.

TO

Saw that 30 years ago in "Sensaround" (anydbody remember that? the the base was really high and the chairs moved). Back then, they didn't have a Coral Sea battle. That was added later. It was all Midway.

Maybe Coral Sea is a directors cut.

Saw that 30 years ago in "Sensaround" (anydbody remember that? the the base was really high and the chairs moved). Back then, they didn't have a Coral Sea battle. That was added later. It was all Midway.

Maybe Coral Sea is a directors cut.

tim, what you're referring to is the television version, with additional cast and plot. The added plot points are a Charlton Heston-Susan Sullivan romance and the Coral Sea battle is played out like the Midway battle. At the end of the TV version, Sullivan and Christine Kukobo (Heston's son's Japanese girlfriend) are both shown waiting dockside.

TO

Was this the one with a stupid love story involving a Japanese American? If I remember rightly didn't a lot take off in Wildcats but come back in Hellcats? Seems to me it's begging for the remake treatment!

A very long story short...

My aunt and uncle were friends with Erik Estrada he and actually visited my house when I was a teenager (over 30 years ago). He saw in my room I had an F4F model hanging from the ceiling along with a Val (the F4F was shooting down the Val). He told me about the filming of Midway and how he had a real good time during the shoot. This was prior to his "CHIPS" days so he was a bit more accessible.

The last time I seen him was around 1989 at a gym in Universal City CA. He thought I was another hounding fan till I mentioned "Uncle Ralph." He gave me a big hug and treated me like long lost family.

Was this the one with a stupid love story involving a Japanese American? If I remember rightly didn't a lot take off in Wildcats but come back in Hellcats? Seems to me it's begging for the remake treatment!

If I remember, the movie didn't have that large a budget, and they used old stock footage from the pacific theater. This is one movie that I think derserves a remake, but they might want to get rid of the love story.

90 percent of this movie was reused footage from other movies or real footage (Even the opening title shots were stolen from 30 seconds over Tokoyo!)
That said before it sounds like I'm bashing it- This movie came out right at the time I was getting into WWII stuff and I loved every moment of it.
Despite the millions of errors I like it for what it is and it's on my list to buy on DVD. As I kid I can remember being excitied because the japanese were speaking english! Now day's I'm firmly in the subtitle camp but back then I thought that was the coolest thing ever, and the wild cat pilot (The same guy with the japanese girlfriend) getting burned and holding his arms up gave me nightmares for years.
I have to confess everytime the movie starts and you can hear that oneengine starting to crank my heart beats faster.
Art

I have to confess everytime the movie starts and you can hear that oneengine starting to crank my heart beats faster.

Just like "Twelve O'clock High" !!

Back in the days of VHS, I rented the movie and had a dual cassette recorder. I taped the movie but deleted the love story subplot. I became so used to it that when I got the DVD I couldn't believe they would mess it up. Then I remembered.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back