My online portfolio, input needed (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
Hey guys. I know some of you have watched me grow my photography since the early days of the business. I have created an online portfolio to send prospective clients to and wanted to see if there are any photos that stood out to you guys that I may have missed. Here is the link to the portfolio for the aviation side:

Van Gilder Aviation Photography, Aviation Portfolio

Let me know if there is anything you guys think I should include.

Many thanks!

Hi. :)

One thing that struck me, is a thing I accidentally often do, when it comes to motorcycle photography:
Same motorcycle/kind of mc, with altering backgrounds.

Try varying the selection more by avoiding to add two or more shots of the same plane.
Try also to vary the angles and sections that you've shot - the ones that stand out to me in your great photo series here, is the ones shot from unusual angles, or with unusual backgrounds, like the T-6 "Problem Child" over the Pacific near the Channel Islands, the cockpit view from a T-28B over Ojai California, the T-34 Mentor rear cockpit view, and especially the Firecat Jet L-39 flying past the wall of fire - that looks really cool! :thumbleft:

I hope you can use this; I love your great photos, they're sharp, good, well lit - keep up the good work. ;) :thumbleft: :thumbright:

Cheers,

Maria.

Thanks Maria, I was torn on having the 2 shots of the SNJ, but liked the clouds in one and the high angle in the other. Maybe if I put them in a different spot so they aren't one right after the other?

Eric, They were all great but three really stood out, the flames, especially the Firecat against the flames. third the P-51, the blurred background gives an excellent feel for speed

I'm with the others in that there are so many good shots....but I must admit that I'm partial to some of your static pics (if thats the correct term) like you have on your free wallpaper tab. The shot of the A-26 and then the close-up of the P-40 are in a whole different class for me, compared to the "action" shots.
Good luck on the new portfolio!
Derek

IMO I think the one that should be first is the "Rich Perkins flying the Firecat Jet L-39 past the wall of fire". I know absolutely nothing about your business, but in the one I have to deal with you typically only have a few seconds to grab a their attention, and that one does.

I think the one that really shows off your talent is the "P-51D Mustang "Wee Willy II" from the Planes of Fame on a low pass". I've seen a lot of aircraft pics, but this is by far the finest I've ever seen that combines both movement and stillness. It still blows my mind in how the heck you did that.

I certainly don't see any that should be removed.

Agree with the comments that have been posted already. You have many good shots along with a wide variety. As Maria has already said perhaps a variety of shots from different angles with different compositions of the same subject would not be a be a bad idea.

Okay, I have made changes, got rid of some of the shots because there were too many T-6, T-34 and T-28 shots. I have also added the P-40 nose shot and a B-17 and B-25 shot. Let me know if you like this better.

Thanks everyone! :)

I don't see anything wrong with what you've got there. I didn't see the first set, sorry. Even though you have a of the same model aircraft the lighting around them is different enough to let would be customers know you can shoot in many different situations which is a good thing.

Eric...wow, what a collection.

If I may offer a suggestion...

For a portfolio, you need a really good mix of shots. If this was my 'set' (wish I could have taken these shots !) I would do the following:

Move the wall of flame shot from first place. Yes its a visually stunning picture.....but theres no real sense of action to me. For want of a better description and in no way detracting from the skill of the shot (stunning by the way) its almost as though the plane has been superimposed against a backdrop....theres no real sense of motion....its too damn picture sharp !. Thats the problem with jets...no character and they dont show any sense of the speed they're capable of doing in photo's....they just sort of 'hang there'.

For my first place shot, I would use the shot taken from the backseat looking over the pilots shoulder. why ?....simple, it means you have access to the kind of action shots that very few people get the chance to take...from the 'front office'. This immediately sets you apart from the guys who take brilliant pics, but only from the ground. You are able to open up a fresh avenue of picture opportunities.

For the next few shots, I would use the Bearcat, the blue Trojan against the sea and the Mustang. These shot can only have been taken from another plane and again follow on from the choice of first photo. They take the viewer 'up there in the air'. And that kind of photo is a most special type.

Now, having grabbed the viewers eye because you can take them to places they cant normally go, what you've then done, is to give the viewer a tantalising spread of the sort of shots you can produce and while their eyes are wide open and they're drooling, set 'em straight off onto some ground to air pics. Hit 'em hard with 'Wee Willy', the wall of flame shotand few others

The viewer will have seen the full spectrum of whats available from inside the office, bird to bird, ground to air and finally ground static. There isn't really much more you can take pics of !.

Bit of a babble from me, and please remember, its only a suggestion. This is your portfolio and you can guarantee that every one who looks at it, will almost certainly have their own ideas about how to show it off. I think you're doing a great job and by opening it up for input from the inmates (who know and respect your work) on here, you know you're not going to be given a cr*p idea as we are all in effect, your 'public'. I'm just thinking that a structure that doesnt hop from air to air, to static, to air to air to ground to air, while all brilliant photo's, would benefit from being shown in 'clusters', but with the shots that joe public cant normally ever be in the same situation to take, shown first.

Yes, what you want to do is to shout that you are a special guy that has these opportunities, so as I've said, hit 'em with the action shots taken up there first, and they'll come back for more.

What was the saying in that film with K Costner building a baseball pitch in his corn field....if you build it, they will come !.

Looking forward to more pics from the master :thumbleft:

Last edited:
All good points, Gary. I like the idea of hitting them with the air-to-air first, as those will be more rare. )

I'm humbled you think my suggestions are worthy of inclusion. Thank you.

I must say, I think it looks a better proposition, and good luck.:thumbleft:

Gary, excellent idea sir. You aren't in marketing are you

Nope. Just thought about how I'd like to see the photos' presented, is all :oops:

I have zero artistic talent but I like it too. that first pic is an attention grabber and I'm glad you included the P-40. I use that as my wall paper along with your p-38s. very nice eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back