New guy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gsx®7-11

Recruit
Aug 25, 2009
Hello everyone! My name is Joey, I am from GA, and have always been a big WWII enthusiast. I have been enjoying reading these forums lately, and decided to join.

Also... Maybe someone could help me (or at least tell me what section to post this under.)

I am looking for a decent piece of a warbird skin panel that I can make into a cowl for a cafe-racer style motorcycle project. The whole bike is somewhat warbird-themed, and having parts made from real airplane skin would be icing on the cake!

Any help would be very appreciated!

Hello and welcome from England. Good luck with your hunt for a piece of warbird panel, but I think a genuine part would be very expensive if available, and more likely be a museum exhibit - but you might be lucky enough to find someone willing to part with something !

Thats gonna be interesting...fitting a panel (modified) to Gixer !. Lets see some pics !!
And welcome aboard

Welcome

Someone on this board used bomber nose art and framed them. Does anyone remember who that was? He might have some skins for you.

That sounds amazing! Those would look amazing in my office. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Where in Georgia? My Dad retired from Moody AFB (Valdosta) back in '91, I spent 7.5 years sweltering down there before I graduated HS!

Oh, and Welcome Aboard!

Welcome aboard mate!

Bashing up original warbird skin for a bike?? BLASPHEMY! BLASPHEMY! :) :)

You could look around to see if anyone's anyone's doing any restorations and replacing the skins, the originals often get turfed in the process (I have some original Mosquito fabric to prove it!).

Evan

Hi Joey and welcome from Denmark. ;)

A few thoughts for your project there:
I'm well aware that you've prolly thought it through already, but have you considered the fact that it might not be so smart security-wise, if you accidentally crash with your bike and that panel goes where it shouldn't go?
You can be the best biker in the world, but if you run into Mr. Accident-Waiting-To-Happen, you might have a problem.
And how about getting your bike street-legal? Is that possible with such a modification to the bike?
One last question: Will it be possible for you to get your bike insured with a body mod like that, or will it increase the price of your insurance?

I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade the "Cool"-factor on your bike - I love the idea of using a piece of warbird-skin - but think it through, make inquiries about what it'll do to your bike and your insurance, and then go ahead. ;)

Oh, and btw - let's see some pics of the project, when/if you set to work on it? ;)

And how about a paint job for the helmet to match? ;)

P-51 Mustang helmet:

naughty-but-nice.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf-109 "Galland" helmet:

galland.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind to get my hands on that 109 helmet. Very nice pictures BikerBabe! lol, and Welcome to the forum GSXR.

Last edited:
Where in Georgia? My Dad retired from Moody AFB (Valdosta) back in '91, I spent 7.5 years sweltering down there before I graduated HS!

Oh, and Welcome Aboard!

Im near Savannah. :)

Welcome to the family mate! Cafe racer, eh? BSA, Norton, AJS, Triumph? 8)

I wish.... Its actually an '85 gsxr750 with an 1100 engine that I am turning into a cafe-racer-meets slightly more modern kinda thing. :p I guess you could say it is both cafe- and warbird-inspired.

Welcome aboard mate!

Bashing up original warbird skin for a bike?? BLASPHEMY! BLASPHEMY! :) :)

You could look around to see if anyone's anyone's doing any restorations and replacing the skins, the originals often get turfed in the process (I have some original Mosquito fabric to prove it!).

Evan

Haha, I was afraid of that reaction... :p I will definitely check with some restorers.

Hi Joey and welcome from Denmark. ;)

A few thoughts for your project there:

Yep, all is well with the safety and legalities. The piece would be used simply as a cowl to go where the passenger seat was, a solo tail of sorts. That helmet is great!

The bike isn't much to look at in it's current state, as I just decided to go ahead with this idea. However, here is a starting pic, and i can post more as work progresses. :)

Thanks again for the kind welcome, cheers!

7111cr4.jpg

Last edited:
Savannah, I was just there 2 weeks ago. Im up here in Charleston about 2 hours away. Was at the 8th Air Force Museum. You ever go there?

Yes actually, I was able to go there after hours and have a good look around! (A friend of mine had his wedding there.) I love that place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back