Olympics 2012

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with you on the first race where he came in 4th, but in the 4x100 freestyle relay, he more than did his job as the 2nd leg. It was Lockte that blew that one.

Not really, his leg was average but the French guy was great (he just won the individual title in the 100m freestyle tonight). Shouldn't be that surprised the French have been able to do that for a while just haven't done it.

Not sure I like this 16 Chinese Female swimmer though. 400m individual medley gold and swam the last 50m quicker than all the men did in their final. Seems too good to be true if you ask me...

I'm getting tired of swimming that's for sure!!! I wish they still showed boxing like back in the 70's and 80's, but that sport is dying out I guess.

Last edited:
Not sure I like this 16 Chinese Female swimmer though. 400m individual medley gold and swam the last 50m quicker than all the men did in their final. Seems too good to be true if you ask me...

completely agree. Something isn't right there.....

She's 16 similar to the US swimmer that just won the 800m freestyle in a huge PB. These are "age group" swimmers showing "age group" improvements in performance. Meilutyte a 15 year old Lithuanian who trains here,in Plymouth,also won a gold medal with a huge PB but noone is pointing fingers at her.
There are sinister overtones to some of the Chinese bashing I've seen in our media.
Steve

Steve tell me you aren't surprised about the worlds reaction to the Chinese

in any case a hearty congrats on the men's cycling track win - UK and to Mrs Armstrong of the US tacking the women's time trial cycling event.

Erich I'm not surprised but I find it worrying when reported by sports journalists who should know better. Where is the evidence?

It stinks of sour grapes and detracts from what has so far been an excellent games.

I discussed this with a colleague,a former DDR junior swimmer,who fell out of the state run swimming programm back in the seventies (luckily for him in view of the subsequent revelation of "state plan 14.25" into which he would have fallen) precisely because he didn't show the types of improvement that all three of the women I mentioned above have done. That would be a British trained Lithuanian,an American and a Chinese.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
South Korea beat GB!

In a penalty shoot out...again.

For all the bruhaha,trumpeting of the premier league etc we're actually not very good at football (soccer) particularly when we have to put together a team of British,or English,players.

Personally,speaking as a Rugby man,I don't think that this sport has any place in the Olympic games anyway.

Cheers

Steve

Now the French are casting aspersions on the performance of the GB cyclists.

"We are asking a lot of questions: how have they gained so many tenths of seconds? Have they found a new training process based on certain energy pathways? I am not talking about any illicit product, because anti-doping tests are so strong," a perplexed Gautheron told L'Equipe.
"Honestly, we are looking a lot at the kit they use. It is not yet time to analyse, though. It's all over for these Games.
"They hide their wheels a lot. The ones for the bikes they race on are put in wheel covers at the finish (of a race). Do they really have (official supplier) Mavic wheels? We know that they work with McLaren."

I think they are still a bit miffed about the Tour de France.

They are also complaining about a British pair being allowed to restart a race in the rowing following an equipment failiure at the start. They should read the rules. If the failiure was within the first 100m,which it was,they were entitled to restart. It is an anachronistic rule that dates back to the era of much less technically advanced boats and equipment but it is still on the book.

I see we just won another gold in the show jumping....probably using bionic horses!

Cheers

Steve

We are doing record well, 'Team GB' 3rd in the medal table, and if there was a 'Team Yorkshire' we would be tenth in the medal table - fantastic.
The two Brownlee brothers from Leeds just won Gold and Bronze in the men's Triathalon - well done lads.

Did anyone see the quick documentary on the blitz last night on NBC right before the Olympics? It was pretty good!

Jolly good show. Normally I'm not much into the ceremony shows before and after the Olympics, but I watched bits and pieces of it last night and it was pretty good. Highlight was Eric Idle singing "Always look on the bright side of life" That was classic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back