P-40K Col. Robert L. Scott Commander 23rd Fighter Group, 1943 China

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I had every intention of keeping the cockpit simple as I intend to keep the canopy closed, but one look at the kit supplied seat and I just couldn't leave it as is.

Picture 1) The kit supplied seat. It looks like the type in the P-40N. Defiantly not the type in the P-40K

Picture 2) How the seat should look like This is from a P-40E, but the P-40K had the same seat. (from P-40 Warhawk in detail part 2 by Bert Kinzey)

Picture 3) The kit seat after I modified it. I rounded over the top and asses thin plastic card to the bucket and back, and added the stiffener piece between the two.

Picture 4) The seat after paint and a black wash.
P-40E seat.jpg
P4154692.JPG
P4154691.JPG
P4154689.JPG

Last edited:
Nicely done Glenn. The seat looks much better. I have a tip for these gaps you made to the backrest. In fact these were embossed areas and their edges were rounded. So some sanding at these areas is needed. Then some of gloss varnish or a grey paint should be applied with a brush inside of these gaps. It will make the bottom and side walls joining more rounded.

I got back to work yesterday on Scotties P-40K after a long, long break. I wasn't happy with the way the tail fin fillet blended in with the fuselage spine and knew it was going to take a lot filling and filing to fix it that I really didn't feel like doing at the time.

Well I finally sat down and did it and am happy with the results so far. You can see where I am in the first pic compared with what it is supposed to be in the second. The third picture is where it was before I began the filling. The blue gray is some primer I brushed on to see how the sanding was going. I still have to add the panel line at the bottom of the fillet plate that AMT forgot to put on.
P1304186.JPG
PA135679.JPG
Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
I finished work on the tail fillet. This is how it looks before paint, much closer to what it's supposed to, with panel line, and rivets done with a small drill.
PA165692.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back