P-47 'Bridge Buster', 1/48th scale, 9th Air Force Diorama.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PHEW !

It looks like it's on the way to recovery.
The window cleaner didn't seem to make much difference, hardly moving the Future/Flat Base top coat, and having no effect whatsoever on the underlying neat Future gloss coat. It did 'loosen' some of the thinner, patchy areas of the matt coat though, allowing me to scrape off the residue, and it also lifted one stencil decal on the starboard side, and the serial number decals on the port fin.
After washing the model, I did a test on the engine cowling, and brushed on Tamiya gloss clear. This seemed to dry as well as could be expected over the patchy and uneven surface, so further tests were made, until finally, all areas of Olive Drab were re-coated, returning the finish to a more even appearance, and eliminating the paler, greyish tinge.
I'll now leave this overnight, before replacing the individual serial number decals, which will then be sealed with the Tamiya varnish and, when fully dry, the model will then receive a coat of the Tamiya Flat Clear (Not Flat Base), thinned and applied with the airbrush. Hopefully, this will cure things, and allow me to proceed from the point where things went t*ts up, although I don't expect to have a pristine surface finish, as it would have been had things not gone wrong with the Future/Flat Base.
All being well, I hope to have a further up-date some time tomorrow.

Attachments

• P-47 Build 170.jpg
    P-47 Build 170.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 168
Glad it's working out for you Terry. Now, I'll remind you that my experience with Taniya's gloss clear was that it took DAYS to dry fully. I managed to imprint my finger in the stuff even after three days.

Terry, I may be wrong but the haze in the Future coat may have been water. From where you cleaned the gun. I have seen it do this in clear coats on cars when the dryer in the airline system fails and lets water into the clear coat material as it is being sprayed on the car. To keep the chunks of flattener from clogging up the your spay tip, strain the flattener through some cheese clothe before you go to mix it. It's a hassle but it can save some hassle to. Hope this helps and I am just taking a guess here from what I have run into in my profession.

well recovered Terry.

as you know i use the same stuff and if i was a bit too impatient and didn't allow the Future to dry over night i would get a cloudy effect where the water from the decals would run over the surface.
but this would slowly disappear as it dried and go completely with another coat of future/pledge !

not as bad as your problem looked though

Thanks very much chaps.

Aaron, I know what you mean, but there was no sign of water, the airbrush had been thoroughly dried and blown through, and the Future/Flat Base mixed as normal. It's not possible to strain the Flat Base, as it's a grey, thick substance, rather like glue. But it dissolves and mixes without problem.
The Future as a gloss coat was applied by brush, and allowed to set for over 24 hours,by which time it was hard, and scratch-resistant, before spraying the matt coat.
I think the problem is with the Future. This bottle has been used before, for exactly the same processes, without problems, although the gloss finish was nowhere near as good as the 'old' stuff. I think it may have 'gone off' - OK for floor polish, but no good for modelling. The visible yellowish-brown tinge has not been visible before, and the change to a 'solid' , white bottle , from the original clear bottle, might be an indication that it could be ,for example, light sensitive.
It certainly didn't give the smooth, glass-like finish, when brushed, that I'm used to, and I've taken the decision not to use it again, apart from maybe the odd 'gloss only' use, on small areas.

Andy, I brushed on the Tamiya clear gloss (rather heavy viscosity), and was quite surprised it was dry within an hour, and solid as rock 18 hours later. No doubt the clear matt, when thinned and sprayed, will take some time to dry though.

Not got any more done yet, as I've felt as rough as a bear's Rs today, with the beginnings of yet another cold - Mick's fault! Hope to get some done tomorrow though.
Thanks again for all the positive comments and encouragement.

Thanks Dave, and I know how you must have felt. I had just recovered from a cold, when it came back with a vengeance, along with a vicious headache.
Just getting over it now, and in the process of slowly re-applying the lost serial number decals. Hopefully, I might have something to show over the weekend.

And I as well. Massive congestion, sinus headaches, aches and pains runny nose. Just getting over mine as well. I too plan to get on the bench after work today and see if I can post a few minor progress shots of the Typhoon build.

Looks like these winter colds, viral infections etc even transcend borders and oceans.

Hope you feel better and looking forward to some of your progress.

Cheers,
Dave.

Thanks Dave. Due to Rheumatoid Arthritis, my immune system is like a Tiger after a visit by Typhoons - shot full of holes - so any bug going finds a home with me!

Thanks very much Charles. Having only been able to do a couple of models in the past 12 months, I'm finding it hard going, as my hands get worse. It's not helped catching the World's supply of bugs either !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back