Ploesti--The Movie: Help Needed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billbradle

Recruit
Dec 13, 2010
Dear Warbird members,

My name is Bill Bradle, and I am a published history writer (Goliad: The Other Alamo).

I am trying to get a film put together that tells the story of the heroism and valor of the B24 crews that bombed Ploesti in August, 1943. The title is Tidal Wave: The Ploesti Raid.

We are all aware of the details of the raid but the world is not; the action is largely forgotten. And action there is from the Dambusters to the crew landing on the estate of the Romanian princess and everything in between.

In writing the script I tried to combine the action of Saving Private Ryan, the planning and teamwork of The Dirty Dozen, and the pathos of Gallipoli. The script follows three planes and their crews—Kane, Baker and Lt. Longnecker.

Innovative director Robert Child is attached to direct. Go to http://www.robchild.net/ to see his work, including Wereth 11 and USS Franklin---Honor Restored. Rob is a dedicated, pragmatic director who can get it done. Take a look at the Wereth 11 and you will see how he uses computer graphics and single props to make quality material at low budget prices.

With the current Hollywood mindset getting a picture made that is long on heroism and courage is itself a very long shot. Rob was able to get the script in to Dale Dye, actor, director, and Stephen Spielberg's military advisor and we are waiting to hear.

In the meantime, we are exploring all other options and I thought I would throw it out to the group to gather suggestions/resources/financing sources/studio entries. Any and all comments will be appreciated.

A copy of the script is attached. As with all movies, characters are often composites of more than one person. I wanted to be a purist but scripts and the audience can only handle so much. What I think we have accomplished is an exciting story, strong characters and loads of action—a real action movie with real action heroes.

As far as resources, we have
-the script
-Rob Child as director
-a detailed $3.9 million budget
-actor list
-sites and locations in New Mexico to utilize tax incentives

For those who have not read many scripts they appear at first look, lifeless. To give you some comparison you may want to read or scan another. For Saving Private Ryan go to Saving Private Ryan Script at IMSDb..

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy the script.

Bill Bradle

Attachments

• Ploesti final december 20.pdf
    249.3 KB · Views: 181
GOOD LUCK!!!!

I do know some folks tried to do a movie about Ploesti during the mid-70s right after "Tora-Tora-Tora" and "Midway" and the USAF would not help did everything to prevent this movie from being made as AF brass at that time was worried about the full story being told (ignored intelligence, errors in planning and during the mission, etc.) I do hope you are successful. IMO it would make a great movie and the whole story should be told.

BTW - I had an uncle who served during WW2, was training to be a B-24 bombadier until he was almost killed in a B-24 crash. His CC was John Kane.

Last edited:
Good luck on this. Dale Dye has been in on several good war movies (as I'm sure you know :) ).

PLEASE, don't take a "Pearl Harbor" track in the script!!!! :)

Good luck on this. Dale Dye has been in on several good war movies (as I'm sure you know :) ).

PLEASE, don't take a "Pearl Harbor" track in the script!!!! :)

Amen....the facts should carry the movie well enough on their own, without some sappy romance. Although, if you can get Kate Beckinsale in there somewhere (or Olivia Wilde!), maybe as a WASP or nurse, it couldn't hurt. (back to original topic) Keep us updated on the release date, I want to see this one! The Ploesti Raid has always fascinated me...I always admired the men who went through that hell in order to complete the objective, even knowing as they flew into it that it was gonna be a meatgrinder. :salute:

I would highly recommend Bob Sternfels book "Burning Hitler's Black Gold". He is still around and is one of the survivors of that very raid.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00216XSG4/?tag=dcglabs-20

51yizUXnVAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Forgive me for being so bold to suggest the following "lead in" for when the action switches to north Africa. (As you know the crews practiced low level bombing in the desert there on a refinery mockup - or so I read.)

African desert, midday, looking off to the horizon. Barely visible initially, a couple of shapes morph out of the shimmering desert heat. Slowly growing in size as they approach, the roar of a couple of B-24's commencing their practice bomb run just begins to be heard. Increasing in size and sound as they approach until reaching a screaming crescendo as they flash overhead and drop their practice ordinance on the refinery mockup in the middle distance. Walking into frame discussing Tide wave are…

Boy I would see this movie if just for that scene! 8)

This is the latest documentary on the subject that ran on national TV over here in Romania some 3 weeks ago : Kogainon Films: "Knights of the Sky: Air War Over Romania"

Although it is not a big-budget documentary it's quite interesting and has some nice interviews with participants from both sides, footage from the period and so on.

If you need extra info billbradle i think you can contact some of the persons that took part in this documentary.

PS: the correct name of the city is Ploiesti ( probably Ploesti is easier to spell in english )

Last edited:
Excellent!!!! I hope it is as historically accurate as can be made. I think we all understand there is some "fiddle faddle" that is included just to keep parts of it interesting or progress a story line.

Just stay away from Ben Affleck and you will be fine!

Dear Sir:

My father-in-law was on a B-24 Liberator and shot down in Romania. I have pictures of the Princess that saved many lives. She actually came to Ohio and visited with my father-in-law. Although he died in 2002, he left audios of his experiences. Should you still be interested, please let me know.

I have always wondered why this specific mission was never archived in Hollywood history. Shame actually. And if other folks in the world wish to take up the film production, I wish them well and prosperous.

Russell Longnecker, now deceased, was my older cousin. I guess it is journalistic license but the way he was portrayed in the script was nothing like Russ. This was more of a composite of many young pilots and factually it is wrong in many ways -- Russ did not crash and was one of only a few pilots to make it all the way back to Benghazi after the raid. He did not lose his leg, that was another pilot (Lt. John Palm) and is well documented. Anyway, this character is not Russ, who was a measured and cool under pressure man and a skilled and meticulous pilot who spent a lifetime flying planes (his own crop dusting firm in Skagit Valley, WA after the war.)

Russell Longnecker, now deceased, was my older cousin. I guess it is journalistic license but the way he was portrayed in the script was nothing like Russ. This was more of a composite of many young pilots and factually it is wrong in many ways
I think the topic starter mentiones this

A copy of the script is attached. As with all movies, characters are often composites of more than one person. I wanted to be a purist but scripts and the audience can only handle so much. What I think we have accomplished is an exciting story, strong characters and loads of action—a real action movie with real action heroes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back