Post Your Models! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My experience with Academy 1/72 has been nothing but good 2 Spits a Stuka and a Corsair all beautiful to build but then again I always fluke lol

I built their 1/48 P-40C, another nice kit that went together with no problems. They're pretty cheap compared to other brands too.

I hope they are worth a $hit. I just bought my 9yo all 1/72nd

A6M5c
Bf-109G-14
F4U1D Corsair
Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B

Never built an Academy before. If anyone has some comments please post them.

Oh and I bought a Hasegawa 1/72nd P-3C Orion.

I actually find Academy kits pretty decent for their mouldings and detail. Earlier versions do show their inaccuracies though.

The newer moulds say 98 onwards are quite good though.

Academy isn't too bad (I rarely build 1/72nd planes, though). The 1/48 P-47D I posted earlier in this thread is actually from Academy. Even if it was the cheaper P-47 I found at 1/48 scale, it was still rather expansive... Something like $45.00 CDN, if my memory serves me well. (Compared to $60.00 CDN for Tamiya's version.)

But it was a nice build... The hardest part was painting the black and white stripes.

Okay... other than some models that I made about 25 years ago and posted elsewhere, here is the latest build from our household. My just turned 9yo is quite the artist. He and I have made quite a few models together, but he has not made on solely by himself.

This is a Revell RA-5C. I purchased this kit about 5yrs ago from a model shop in Renton Washington that sells only second hand models. The kit was dated 1988. It contained all parts removed from their sprues (likely some kid previously owned it).

It was all hand painted and glued by him. I did the masking and helped him with the putty and sanding. He did not want the drop tanks and was looking for a sleek, gear up look. He did virtually all the panel lines once I showed him how.

Here are pics that we took with him holding it. I think my wife even has her hand in a pic too! We tried taling pics with the sky in the background, but the Fuji camera and my lameass photography skills were not up to the task. And I was too embarrassed to ask my wife to do it with her D80.

So I present to you my son Aaron's first RA-5C. In the future I'll post more of our work.

Oh and I forgot. The model was so old, that the decals were disentegrating upon inserting them in water. I asked Wayne Little what to do and he recommended that I coat the decals with clear gloss. Bless you Wayne!! I had no clear gloss, but used flat acrylic clear. I brushed two coats (vice spray painting since it was my son's model I didn't want to take the time). The right vertical fin decal disentegrated before I contacted Wayne. I then coated the whole decal set with two coats. The remainder of the decals went fantastic with only a few exceptions. I was worried that the decals would be too stiff to accomodate mold lines, but this was not the case. The only thing that we did have to do was ensure that we trimmed close to the decal or lots of flotsam and jetsom ended up in the decal water making a mess. A trick that Aaron and I won't forget!

Attachments

• DSCF1598.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF1599.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1600.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF1601.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF1602.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF1603.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF1604.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF1605.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF1607.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF1608.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF1611.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF1613.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF1616.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF1617.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF1618.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF1620.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1623.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF1624.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 93
Thanks, guys. Obviously lots of help, but his painting/drawing skills are phenomenal for his age. I should post some of his drawings and paintings. He's anxious to get his Academy models because he wants to do his first model all by himself. He's such a perfectionist I am hoping he won't have a meltdown when things don't go his way.

My dad helped me when I started making Models at age 9. The first model I did on my own was a REvell B-17 1/48 scale it was a big project....took me quite a bit of time.

Users who are viewing this thread