Post Your Models!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice model you have there! I haven't posted in a while, so here's a quicky from me; a Revell 1:72 Swordfish. This is actually the old Matchbox kit, shown by the way the spruce says 'Made in' and then 'England' crudely covered over, but goes together with no major issues bar the undercarriage. Anyways, seeing as the FAA colour scheme is the most boring thing in the entire world I just decided to make something completely different with no basis in fact whatsoever. So I present my USN Swordfish!

Decals are off a Hellcat, painted Revell Night Blue, a strange colour that is very hard to get even and changes a lot in the light. An interesting 'what if?', but I don't think I'd like to fly the stringbag against defending Zeros! I think the dark colour kind of suits it; almost looks sinister...........

This is my first attempt at both a biplane and rigging (well, second, the first ended up in the spares box), so as you can see, the results aren't great.I used fishing wire and superglue, but unfortunately quite a lot of the latter was required to keep the wire in place

Also, I know it's the wrong forum but I hope you'll forgive my indulgence with my 1:24 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV

Heinz:

Got the other side of the floatplane done tonight, and most of the formers
for the fuselage cut out. Tomorrow I should get most of the fuselage
together. If I do we'll take pictures.

Charles

Heinz: Got most of the fuselage done tonight. The nose-block is a
build-up of nine pieces and I didn't want to start it tonight. I will say,
I've built a lot of rubber powered and U-control, but I've never worked
with 1/16" sq. balsa before. This stuff is minute !!

All pic's have been moved to Modeling\Aeronca K Floatplane

Charles

Looking good. I started a balsa Spitfire about 2 years ago and haven't had time to get back to it. I got the fuselage and the wings built, but not sanded. It's a lot of work doing the balsa models, but the look great when finished.

Heinz Njaco.... Got a BIG problem. According to the plans, this thing sits
on floats attached to the fuselage by four 1/16" X 3/8" spars... NO WAY !
The spars are at an angle, to boot. Think I'm going to mother-fy this with
some steel wire to act as supports behind the spars. This may take some
doing. Think about it and I'll put up a shot of the plans. Bummer...

Charles

Hey Charles, I see by the plans in the first photo of the fuselage that there are SIX support struts, the forward inverted "V" and the aft angled two. Do the pontoons have any struts that run between them? I couldn't see any in the picture. If not they should because on the real thing those struts add a lot of support and keep the floats parallel and in addition there are support wires usually running from lower aft to upper forward in a "X" configuration and a second set running from lower front to upper aft, again in a "X". Here's another thought... Make the supports out of Basswood vice Balsa. ???? What do you think?

DougRD: Went to bed thinking about this, and I woke with solution in hand.
(Well !!) Anyhow, I've attached two views of the floatplane. You are
correct about there being six supports, shaped like an "N". Look at the
front view. It callls for cross braces of thread. THREAD !!

I went to a hobby shop this morning and bought some .039 music wire.
I am going to make the cross braces from the music wire, maybe shaped
like a long "Z". This should keep the floats from spreading or coming
together. It probably will not be "springy" at all, a good firm support.

Your thoughts ? (Or anyone else)

All pic's have been moved to Modeling\Aeronca K Floatplane

Charles

I'm not into models but that is an AWESOME photograph. Nice composition, depth of field and lighting

I'm not into models but that is an AWESOME photograph. Nice composition, depth of field and lighting

comiso90: Thanks for the kind words. I am not a photographer. I'm
just a dummy with a very good camera (Nikon D70). There was no
flash used on that pic, it was taken on the kitchen table with just
a three-way bulb (on 100 watts) in it. Actually, it was something I
just threw together.

evangilder is one of the photographer's on the forum

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread